History in Structure

Church of St Germain

A Grade I Listed Building in Patrington, East Riding of Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.694 / 53°41'38"N

Longitude: -0.0346 / 0°2'4"W

OS Eastings: 529868

OS Northings: 423746

OS Grid: TA298237

Mapcode National: GBR XT6Q.9J

Mapcode Global: WHHH7.FDRY

Plus Code: 9C5XMXV8+J5

Entry Name: Church of St Germain

Listing Date: 16 December 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161091

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166606

ID on this website: 101161091

Location: St German's Church, Winestead, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Patrington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Winestead St Germain

Church of England Diocese: York

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


TA 22 SE
(west side, off)
6/64 Church of St Germain

Parish church. C12 north nave and chancel walls, re-set corbels to chancel;
late C13 north door, C14 south arcade, late C14-C15 chancel arch and
windows to chancel and nave. South aisle demolished, south chapel built in
early C17. Repairs to chancel in C17, perhaps when north door replaced in
1694. Restorations of 1889-90 by Temple Moore included new south aisle,
rebuilding south chapel, partial rebuilding of north wall, re-roofing, re-
seating, restoration of chancel screen. North porch added 1901. Re-roofed
c1985. Roughly-coarsed cobbles to chancel, porch, nave north wall and parts
of east and west walls; limestone ashlar to south chapel and south side of
nave; red brick to nave west end, east gable, nave and chancel parapet;
brick with ashlar bands to south aisle. Ashlar dressings throughout.
Pantile roof to nave and chancel; lead roofs to aisle and chapel. 2-bay
nave with south aisle and north porch, single-bay chancel with single-bay
south chapel. Nave: quoins, large pointed 3-light north window and pointed
5-light west window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds, small C19
pointed cinquefoiled window to west gable; moulded string course, coped
parapet and gables. Aisle: buttresses to angles and flanking re-set pointed
double-chamfered door; square-headed 2-light windows; ogee-headed niche to
west end with crocketed hoodmould and buttress shafts. Chancel: quoins,
chamfered plinth, small pointed trefoiled south window, corbel-table to
south wall with 9 re-set C12 and later corbels, including carved human and
animal heads; pointed 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery and
hoodmould. South chapel (known as Hildyard Chapel): chamfered plinth, pair
of square-headed 2-light 4-centred-arch south windows beneath panel of 3
ashlar relief tablets bearing trophies and arms in ornate surrounds, flanked
by pair of larger heraldic ashlar relief tablets with arms in ornate
strapwork surrounds; east wall has blocked chamfered Tudor-arched door, pair
of recessed rectangular panels in chamfered reveals and 2 similar heraldic
tablets; coped parapet and gable. Porch: plinth, quoins, pointed chamfered
outer arch dying into jambs. Pointed double-chamfered inner arch with door
dated 1694 and inscribed with names of churchwardens. Interior. 4-bay
arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with plain
moulded capitals and bases. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch dying
into jambs. Chancel has double sedilia with pointed chamfered arches,
pointed chamfered piscina with restored bowl, blocked pointed north door,
carved marble reredos of 1889-90. Restored C15 4-bay nave roof with
corbelled wall-posts and carved spandrels to moulded tie beams (some
original) with carved bosses, scissor-braces with struts and carved shields,
side purlins with wind braces, and king struts to ridge piece; restored C17
moulded coupled-rafter roof to south chapel; ornate C19 2-bay arch-braced
chancel roof. Monuments. In nave: C14 - C15 two-thirds life-size priest
effigy reset in west bay of aisle, with moulded base and head beneath
crocketed ogee arch; fine chest tomb of Sir Christopher Hildyard (d 1602)
probably from London workshop, with knight effigy lying on rolled mat with
cockerel at feet, and ornate inscribed chest with pilasters bearing carved
lamps, hourglass, figure, etc, flanking panels bearing arms in strapwork
surrounds with carved fruit; wall tablet to George Dickeson, Hull Customs
Officer, of 1680, with inscribed cartouche, grotesque below and arms with
urn above; floor slabs to Sarah and Rev Edward Robinson of 1756. In
chancel: black marble floorslab with brass bearing black letter inscription
to William de Retherby, Rector (d 1418) recording his building of the "choir
and church"; black marble floorslab with incomplete C16 brasses of knight,
lady and groups of kneeling sons and daughters, and indent for border,
possibly cut from a C14 Flemish monument; floor-slab with C19 inscribed
brasses to William and Catherine Hildyard. In Hildyard Chapel: wall
monuments to Christopher Hildyard of 1684, with Latin inscribed cartouche in
ornate carved surround surmounted by arms and flaming urn; to Robert
Hildyard of 1729, with inscribed tablet and obelisk with carved arms and
urn, flanked by flaming lamps; wall tablet to William Hildyard of 1842 with
coffin and carved arms in relief; series of ten C18 - C19 white marble
tablets to the Hildyard family, re-set in the floor in 1889 from former
mausoleum situated between chancel and chapel. Fittings. Fine restored C15
oak chancel screen, of 5 bays: blind traceried 2-light lower panels with
sub-cusped trefoiled pointed arches and intersecting tracery above, upper
panels with pointed 2-light openings with ornate Perpendicular and
curvilinear tracery and nodding sub-cusped crocketed ogee heads, pointed
central opening with Perpendicular-traceried head, restored fan-vaulting
supporting gallery with ornate frieze; inscription to east side recording
restoration. North and west screens to south chapel, made in 1889 from C17
panelling used for former Hildyard pew: blind elliptical-arched panels with
ornate carved pilasters and spandrels, doors with cocks'-head hinges,
restored balustrade above with drop-on-drop balusters. Good C17 octagonal
wooden panelled pulpit supported on baluster-shaped column and brackets,
with closed-string staircase and balustrade with corniced handrail, vase
balusters with square and round knops and newel with vase finial; octagonal
tester with fretwork frieze suspended on ornate wrought-iron bracket.
Fielded-panel dado to nave and aisle made in 1889 from former box pews.
Plain C14 octagonal font bowl on restored shaft and steps incorporating
fragment of C13 incised graveslab. Fragments of C14-C15 stained glass in
chancel south window (formerly in east window) with inscription and head of
priest, perhaps William de Retherby. Royal Arms of 1792; 3 hatchments of
Hildyard family. C18 chandeliers. Brass lectern of 1890 designed by Sir
Gilbert Scott. The chancel screen is similar to that in St Mary's Church,
Welwick (qv). N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding,
1972, pp 370-371; M E Ingram, The Church of St Germain, Winestead, nd, 4pp;
J Cornforth, "Winestead, Yorkshire", Country Life, 11 Sept 1980, pp 846-9;
Victoria Country History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp 155-6.

Listing NGR: TA2986223745

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.