This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6386 / 53°38'18"N
Longitude: -0.1018 / 0°6'6"W
OS Eastings: 525597
OS Northings: 417460
OS Grid: TA255174
Mapcode National: GBR WVQC.RD
Mapcode Global: WHHHD.DSSY
Entry Name: South Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166626
Location: Sunk Island, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Sunk Island
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ottringham with Sunk Island St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: York
SUNK ISLAND SOUTH FARM ROAD
TA 21 NE
10/84 South Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Early C19 with alterations of 1856 by S S Teulon, including
entrance porch and bay windows to south front. For the Crown Commissioners.
Red-brown brick with Welsh slate roof. Double-depth plan with 2-room,
central entrance-hall south front. 2 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical.
Chamfered plinth to porch and bay windows. Projecting full-height enclosed
porch has chamfered corners, corbelled-out at mid first-floor level, steps
to recessed half-glazed door beneath plain fanlight and painted rubbed-
brick round arch with 2-course brick impost band; recessed panel above in
chamfered segmental-pointed arch reveal with lozenge-shaped relief panel
bearing crown, royal cypher and date; first-floor 8-pane window with keyed
wedge lintel, ashlar sill supported on brick corbels, and single-course
brick sill band; stepped and dentilled brick eaves cornice, hipped roof.
Ground-floor has canted brick bay window to left with 12-pane sash to front
and 8-pane sashes to sides, and brick bay window adjoining porch to right
with pair of 16-pane sashes; windows all beneath cambered wedge lintels and
both bays with hipped roofs. Side bays have 16-pane first-floor sashes with
sills and channelled and keyed stucco cambered arches. Hipped roof. End
stacks. Interior contains original open well staircase with swept handrail,
column newels and ribbed stick balusters. One of a series of early C19
Crown estate buildings, altered as part of Teulon's extensive work in the
mid C19. See item 6/76 for sources.
Listing NGR: TA2559717460
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings