This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6887 / 53°41'19"N
Longitude: 0.0691 / 0°4'8"E
OS Eastings: 536730
OS Northings: 423349
OS Grid: TA367233
Mapcode National: GBR XTXS.RF
Mapcode Global: WHJJF.1K50
Plus Code: 9F52M3Q9+FJ
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 27 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083482
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166559
Location: Holmpton, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU19
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Holmpton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Holmpton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: York
HOLMPTON SCHOOL LANE
TA 32 SE
(north side, off)
8/18 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church. 1874, encasing earlier shell to nave and chancel. Repaired
1901. Cobbles encased in yellow brick with red brick and ashlar dressings.
Welsh slate roof. West tower with west door, 2-bay nave, single-bay chancel
with 2-bay vestry adjoining north side. Chamfered brick plinth. 4-stage
tower has recessed double doors in pointed chamfered arch with ashlar
hoodmould, north and south lancets to first stage; west lancet to second
stage, lancets with wooden louvres and blind Y-traceried panels to belfry,
blind north and south lancets and west clockface to top stage; 2-course
brick band, stone-coped embattled parapet. Twin lancets to nave; single
lancet to chancel, stepped triple east lancet with pierced trefoil above.
Pointed door, lancets to vestry. Ashlar hoodmoulds, flush red brick sill
and impost bands throughout; flush red brick eaves band to nave and chancel.
Stone-coped gables with shaped brick kneelers. Interior. Double-chamfered
chancel arch with corbelled responds; carved ashlar reredos, cast-iron altar
rails. Oval marble wall-tablet to Elizabeth Nockalls of 1767 with moulded
surround, scrolled foliate base and urn above. Painted commandment boards.
N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972. Victoria
County History: York, East Riding, vol 15, 1982, p 55.
Listing NGR: TA3673023349
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings