This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7423 / 53°44'32"N
Longitude: -0.2013 / 0°12'4"W
OS Eastings: 518726
OS Northings: 428825
OS Grid: TA187288
Mapcode National: GBR WT15.67
Mapcode Global: WHHGY.W6BF
Plus Code: 9C5XPQRX+WF
Entry Name: All the Medieval Monuments in the Garden of No 3 (Ivy House)
Listing Date: 22 February 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166400
Location: Hedon, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hedon
Built-Up Area: Hedon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hedon St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: York
All the medieval monuments
in the garden of No 3
TA 1828 NE 1/54
Collected by James Iveson (who lived in Ivy House from 1807) from various East
1. Steps opposite front door of house flanked by parts of a deeply moulded
C14 ashlar pier.
2. Compound pier (probably C14), chamfered, stands to 3 ft; 5 yds west of
north-west corner of house.
3. Arcade composed of fragments of elaborate C13 and C14 mouldings, immediately
south of Albina's Tomb. Reputedly from Kilnsea or Owthorne.
4. Albina's Tomb: a small summerhouse north-west of north-west corner of the
house, composed of fragments, reputed to have come from Owthorne (or possibly
Kilnsea). Front wall hammer-dressed stone. Moulded cornice and C14 or C15
parapet. Ashlar gable with C15 2-light chamfered window: each light with
ogee tracery. Late C12, or early C13 round-arched door: colonnettes in jambs
with dog-tooth to bases, crocketed capitals, moulded voussoirs, one order of
dog-tooth. Flanked by pilasters (probably late C12 or early C13) with moulded
profiles and moulded capitals, taking 2 figures, one of a Bishop and one of
a King (probably C13).
Inside, the south side has the voussoirs of a C12 door, ornamented with zig-zag
and nailhead. Moulded voussoirs of a 2-centred lancet. East side has hood
mould of a round-arched door and 2 C14 foliage capitals. North side has voussoirs
of chamfered lancet with nearly straight shanks. Head of a C14 door, with
traceried cusps, and foliate capitals. West wall has clustered colonnettes
of a respond corbel. Cartouche inscribed "THIS MARKET CROSS WAS ERECTED IN
THE YEAR 1733 BY WILLIAM PULTNEY, ESQ." In the south-west is an ashlar spiral
staircase leading to the external parapet.
5. Archway, ashlar, 2-centred, jambs moulded, voussoirs chamfered; about 10
yds west of Albina's Tomb. Reputedly from HOLLYm.
6. C15 arcade with cusped arches: cornice (presumably C13) with dog-tooth
ornament: flanked by 2 heads of angels. Three yds west of 5. Possibly from
the west front of Hedon church.
7. Two C14 compound piers with moulded capitals, 3 yds west of 6. Reputedly
8. Tomb or chantry reassembled from fragments, apparently C14, said in one
version, to be part of the original Percy tomb at Beverley, and, in another
version, to resemble the original Percy tomb at Beverley.
9. Doorway reconstructed from fragments, presumably C15, of west door of Holy
Listing NGR: TA1872628825
Other nearby listed buildings