History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Watton, East Riding of Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9336 / 53°56'1"N

Longitude: -0.4449 / 0°26'41"W

OS Eastings: 502197

OS Northings: 449733

OS Grid: TA021497

Mapcode National: GBR TQBY.HN

Mapcode Global: WHGDR.4DF7

Plus Code: 9C5XWHM4+F3

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 20 September 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083772

English Heritage Legacy ID: 167880

Location: Watton, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Watton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Watton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


TA OS NW (north side)

15/68 Church of St Mary


Church. C15 incorporating some C13 materials, with later additions and
alterations including probably mid C19 south porch, north vestry dated 1859,
C20 parapet to tower. Pinkish-red brick in mainly stretcher bond with
ashlar dressings, and lead and plain tile roofs. 3-stage west tower, 3-bay
nave with south porch and north vestry, narrower and lower 2-bay chancel.
Tower: chamfered plinth,and angle buttresses with offsets to full height
with ashlar dressings, the south-west buttress has incised mass clock.
Hollow-chamfered ashlar sill band continues around tower and to west end of
nave. West side: first stage, a 3-cinquefoil-light, straight headed window
in double-chamfered ashlar surround with hollow-chamfered hoodmould that
continues round tower; to right of this window a slit window in ashlar
surround. To second stage, west, south and north sides, a pointed opening
in chamfered surround under hoodmould with label stops and to right of
western one a slit opening. Third stage has 2-light bell openings with 4-
centred arched lights in chamfered ashlar surrounds under hollow-chamfered
hoodmoulds with label stops to each side. Hollow-chamfered cornice. Low
parapet. Nave: chamfered plinth. Buttresses with offsets to two-thirds
height. South porch between first and second bay has chamfered plinth and
short angle buttresses. Pointed opening in chamfered surround under hollow-
chamfered hoodmould and with double wood and mesh outer doors. Above
entrance a pointed niche with inscription "GLORIA/IN/EICELSIS/DEO". Ashlar
copings, cross at apex. Within a similar pointed-arched opening with
chamfered surround and board door, under hollow-chamfered hoodmould with
label stops and with inscription "ENTER INTO HIS GATES WITH THANKSGIVING,
AND INTO HIS COURTS WITH PRAISE". Above a chamfered, pointed niche with
inscription "TE/DEUM/LAUDAMAS". First and second bays have tall
2-cinquefoil-light square-headed windows,otherwise a tall 3-cinquefoil-light
window in double-chamfered square-headed ashlar surround under hollow-
chamfered hoodmould with label stops. Low parapet. North side: chamfered
plinth and buttresses with offsets to two-thirds height. Vestry between
first and second bays has 4-centred entrance to west side with plank door
and 4-centred window to left with quoined, chamfered surround. Eroded
plaque to north side carries date 1859. First bay has tall 2-cinquefoil-
light square-headed window, otherwise similar shorter windows in double-
chamfered ashlar surrounds under hollow-chamfered hoodmoulds with label
stops. Low parapet. Chancel, chamfered plinth. South side: off-centre
priest's entrance, a 3-long-panelled door in 4-centred surround with quoined
and chamfered ashlar jambs incised with mass clocks and under heavy lintel
with brick relieving arch over. To first bay a single trefoiled-light in
chamfered ashlar surround and under brick relieving arch. To second bay a
2-cinquefoil-light square-headed window in hollow-chamfered ashlar surround
under hollow-chamfered hoodmould. To north side 3 reused lancet lights, the
easternmost under replacement elliptical arch, with quoined and chamfered
ashlar jambs and under rubbed brick hoodmoulds with label stops. Low
parapet thoughout. To east end a 3-stepped-cinquefoil-light window in
hollow-chamfered surround and under hollow-chamfered hoodmould with label
stops. Beneath this an ashlar tablet to Ann Lawson d 1766 under hollow-
chamfered hoodmould. Ashlar copings. Most windows partly recut. Interior:
tower arch has double-chamfered, pointed head. 2-light pointed piscina to
south wall of nave. C19 stoup to chancel and boss for a statue. Rood
screen has 3 tiers of cinquefoil lights. Late C17 communion rail has
alternate fluted rod and barley twist on leafed-vase balusters. C19 bowl
font. Open timber roof and to nave a grid beamed ceiling with bosses.
Monuments, in chancel: marble cartouche with cherub's heads to Mrs Sarah
Bethell d1730, and other marble tablets to William Dickinson d1702, to
William Hall d1681 and to Mrs Elizabeth Bethell d1726. Incised slab to
William de Malton c1260. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding,
1978, p 360.

Listing NGR: TA0219649732

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.