This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0096 / 54°0'34"N
Longitude: -0.4787 / 0°28'43"W
OS Eastings: 499796
OS Northings: 458140
OS Grid: SE997581
Mapcode National: GBR TQ32.5D
Mapcode Global: WHGDB.MG8Z
Entry Name: Elmswell Old Hall
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167822
Location: Garton, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Garton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Great Driffield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 95 NE ELMSWELL LANE
(South, off), Elmswell
Elmswell Old Hall
House. 1634 for Henry Best with late C18 rebuilding to left side of front facade and later additions and alterations including C19 range to front. Reddish-pink brick with pantile roof 2 storeys, 4 first-floor windows, the left side is recessed and to right a single-storey, single-bay range. Off-centre entrance a board door with overlight with vertical glazing bars. Above an ashlar female head. Further entrance to right a board door. To left side are two 16-pane sashes under flat arches of rubbed brick. To right 2 lights of a mullion window within double-hollow-chamfered surround and with rubbed brick mullions, interrupted by later range. Remains of rubbed brick band to right side. First floor has three 16-pane sashes under flat arches of rubbed brick to left side, and to right a casement window under segmental arch. 2 ashlar date plaques, now eroded inserted in range to front. Stepped caves to left. Brick copings to gable ends. 3 rear stacks, that to left has rubbed brick cornice. Gable ends: plinth. To ground and fast floor to left and to fist floor to right a 5-light mullion window now blocked, with rubbed brick mullions and in double hollow-chamfered surrounds, partly obscured by cement. To right, ground floor a tall 3-light Yorkshire sash. 3-course first- and 2-course second-floor bands. To left a casement window to gable and to right remains of a pitching door. Interior. C17 panelling to some rooms. Elmswell Old Hall, whilst disused and dilapidated at present, is of outstanding significance for its historical associations with Henry Best, its builder. It can clearly he identified with the house in which he wrote his Farming and Memorandum Books relating to the full range of farming and social activities in the region. The
house formed the heart of a farming estate, the minutiae and dynamics of which are set out in remarkable detail in the books and they provide a nationally-important archive of information for historians of all aspects of post-medieval rural life. D Woodward, ed, The Farming and Memorandum Books of Henry Best of Elmswell 1642, 1984, illus. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p 305. Bibliography 3696: The Famiing and Memorandum Books of Henry Best of Elmswell 1642, 1984. 3698 The Buildings of England, Yorkshire York and the East Riding (Nikolaus Pevsner and John Hutchingson), 1972, Page(s) 305.
Listing NGR: SE9979658140
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings