This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.017 / 54°1'1"N
Longitude: -0.7677 / 0°46'3"W
OS Eastings: 480842
OS Northings: 458591
OS Grid: SE808585
Mapcode National: GBR RP2Z.LR
Mapcode Global: WHFC2.59PB
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 14 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083837
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167725
Location: Kirby Underdale, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO41
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Kirby Underdale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kirby Underdale All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
KIRBY UNDERDALE MAIN STREET
SE 85 NW
3/35 Church of All Saints
Church. C11 west tower and nave, mid C12 arcades, chancel and south porch
1870-1871 by G E Street. Coursed rubble with herringbone work, ashlar,
graduated slate roofs. 2-stage west tower, 2-bay aisled nave with westward
extension to south aisle, south porch, 2-bay chancel with north vestry.
West tower: mid C12 west door of 2 round orders on nook-shafts with scallop
capitals: chevrons to outer order, broad roll-moulding to inner.
Immediately above the door is a small oblong window. Belfry openings of
2 square-headed mullioned lights. Crenellated parapet. Nave: C19 triple
lancet to east: similar paired lancets with shouldered openings to west.
Early C13 pointed and double-chamfered south door with nailhead to capitals.
North wall has round-headed door with continuous narrow chamfer (now
blocked) flanked to east and west by 3-light pointed windows with
reticulated tracery. Round-headed slit window to east wall of north aisle.
Chancel: plinth, scroll-moulded sill band. Two 2-light pointed windows with
quatrefoil plate tracery. Triple stepped lancets to chancel east wall, all
under pointed arch with continuous narrow chamfer. Interior: round
unmoulded tower arch on roll-moulded imposts. North and south arcades of
pointed arches with continuous chamfer on virtually flat scalloped capitals
on cylindrical piers with moulded bases. Above each arcade may be seen the
heads of the windows to the C11 nave. Mid C12 chancel arch - round-headed,
of 2 orders: the inner with a double roll-moulding on scalloped capitals,
half-cylindrical responds, and carved bases: a swirled pattern to the south,
stepped to the north. At the west end of the north aisle a Roman carving in
shallow relief of the god Mercury has been built into the wall of the west
tower. Faint traces of wall-painting survive on the faces of the voussoirs
to the C11 nave windows. In the north is a memorial slab to Roger
Wilberfoss of Garrowby, died 1532: black letter inscription around a central
coat of arms.
Listing NGR: SE8084258589
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings