This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8465 / 53°50'47"N
Longitude: -0.4376 / 0°26'15"W
OS Eastings: 502885
OS Northings: 440044
OS Grid: TA028400
Mapcode National: GBR TRDY.1W
Mapcode Global: WHGF4.7LV3
Entry Name: The Red House
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083989
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167394
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Beverley
Built-Up Area: Beverley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beverley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/12/2014
NORTH BAR WITHOUT (east side),
No 56 (The Red House)
Completed 1765. Three storeys in red brick. Five windows, including three in centre break, reglazed in plate glass. Three-sided brick bays added to ground floor in mid to late C19. Very good doorcase with applied Doric columns, frieze with spirited carving of palm leaves and shell, pediment. Six-panel door. Parapet with stone coping. Twin gabled ends to pantile roof. Early C19 wing to side of two storeys with two windows on both storeys and door.
Interior: oval central hall with moulded plaster cornice. Stairs are to side off this hall, and are the only stone and wrought-iron staircase in Beverley: cantilevered stone steps: fine wrought-iron balustrade with mahogany handrail and spiral curtail. Back stair has closed string, plain newels, and moulded handrail. One back ground floor room has modillioned plaster ceiling cornice. Most other rooms altered in C19 with plaster ornament. Firemark of Royal Exchange Assurance Company.
Listing NGR: TA0288540044
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings