This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8464 / 53°50'46"N
Longitude: -0.4379 / 0°26'16"W
OS Eastings: 502870
OS Northings: 440032
OS Grid: TA028400
Mapcode National: GBR TRDY.0Y
Mapcode Global: WHGF4.7LR5
Plus Code: 9C5XRHW6+GV
Entry Name: Lamp Standard on the Pavement in Front of the Red House, 56, North Bar Without
Listing Date: 17 August 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164335
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167492
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Beverley
Built-Up Area: Beverley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beverley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/01/2018
NORTH BAR WITHOUT
Lamp standard on the pavement in front of 56, The Red House.
(Formerly listed as Lamp standard in the pavement in front of No 42, TOLL GAVEL (south side))
Late Georgian (post-1826) cast iron lamp standard presumed to have been made by William Crosskill of Beverley. The square, stepped base has a stilted arch each face of the lower step and on each face of the upper step is a wreath. Then an octagonal step to the column in the form of a fasces-minus-axehead (symbolising a disused weapon of war). From a narrow collar rises a section modelled on Pompeiian bronze standard lamps, surmounted by a copper gas-type lantern of modern date.
The lamp standard was moved to its current location in late 2017.
Listing NGR: TA0287040032
Other nearby listed buildings