This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6317 / 53°37'54"N
Longitude: -2.129 / 2°7'44"W
OS Eastings: 391565
OS Northings: 415029
OS Grid: SD915150
Mapcode National: GBR FVKF.WV
Mapcode Global: WHB8R.8ZF7
Entry Name: Dob Wheel Mill
Listing Date: 12 February 1985
Last Amended: 4 November 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084231
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358973
Location: Rochdale, OL16
Electoral Ward/Division: Wardle and West Littleborough
Built-Up Area: Rochdale
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Wardle and Smallbridge
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 91 NW WARDLE DYE HOUSE LANE,
(North east side)
04.11.196 Dob Wheel Mill
Woollen and cotton mill with weir. 5 buildings date from late C18 to mid-late C19.
The earliest building is the small water-powered mill of 3 builds, late C18 - early C19. Coursed stone rubble, slate roof, stone quoins, some re-used. Original 4-bay range has round-arched blocked wheel-house opening, 1st-floor loading door, 16-pane windows, plain stone surrounds; added bay: flat-faced mullion windows, stone steps up to raised 1st floor entrance. INTERIOR: timber flooring, king and queen post roof trusses (Williams, 1989). This earliest part was built as a fulling and perching mill.
To north c1800 range probably built for hand-loom weaving. Brick. 3 storeys, paired 16-pane windows (most replaced with 4 panes), central stone mullions.
A later steam-powered phase of 1854 is represented by the external boiler house for 3 Lancashire boilers to west: red brick, stone details. 3 round arches to gable, right arch obscured by wooden doors, central and left keyed arches spring from monolithic columns with moulded capstones. Shield-shaped stone plaque centre has inscription: 'DOB WHEEL/ MILL/ 1854'. Gable coping with turned-back kneelers. It is attached to the brick mill range, 11+ bays, now 2 storeys. Tall narrow engine house next to boiler house. Now Smallbridge textiles Ltd. The weir is of stone, with remains of headrace stonework on N bank of the river; it provided water for the earliest phase of the mill, powered by the water wheel, the head and tail races are filled in.
An important site representing the development of several aspects of textile production through hand, water and steam power.
(Williams M (GMAU): Mill Survey Report: 1989-)
Listing NGR: SD8900910963
Other nearby listed buildings