History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Wardle and West Littleborough, Rochdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6338 / 53°38'1"N

Longitude: -2.1319 / 2°7'54"W

OS Eastings: 391375

OS Northings: 415258

OS Grid: SD913152

Mapcode National: GBR FVKF.73

Mapcode Global: WHB8R.7X2N

Entry Name: Church of Saint John the Baptist

Listing Date: 29 June 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346261

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358975

Location: Rochdale, OL16

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Wardle and West Littleborough

Built-Up Area: Rochdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wardle and Smallbridge

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Littleborough

Listing Text

SD 91 NW WARDLE Halifax Road
(south side)

4/144 Church of Saint
29.6.1966 John the Baptist

- II

Church. 1834. By Lewis Vulliamy. Ashlar with slate roof.
Nave, west entrance with side porches leading to the
gallery, and a small chancel with east vestry. 8-bay nave
with weathered plinth, continuous sill mould, continuous
hood mould, parapet and gableted, weathered corner
butresses. Each bay has a lancet opening and a weathered
butresses. The gabled west elevation has projecting central
portion with 3 lancet openings, central entrance, lean-to
side porches, octagonal pinnacles and a gabled bellcote with
clock faces, lancet openings and a central finial. The 1-
bay chancel has a 4-light east window, a double gabled
vestry, and is roofed continuously with the nave. Interior:
wide nave with small galleries on cast iron columns, the
west having 2 tiers of galleries. The large chancel arch is
surmounted by a painted angelic choir. Much fine and
ornately carved timberwork of various dates including choir
screen, pulpit, lectern, poppyhead pews and choir stalls,
hooded priests chair with misericord. Gallery parapet and
semi-ceiled king-post roof trusses with cusped arcading.
Built with a Commissioners' grant.


Listing NGR: SD9137515258

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.