History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lamb Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Eccles, Salford

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4835 / 53°29'0"N

Longitude: -2.3334 / 2°20'0"W

OS Eastings: 377971

OS Northings: 398579

OS Grid: SJ779985

Mapcode National: GBR DX45.M0

Mapcode Global: WH989.4P3W

Entry Name: Lamb Hotel

Listing Date: 15 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084301

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358706

Location: Salford, M30

County: Salford

Electoral Ward/Division: Eccles

Built-Up Area: Eccles

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Eccles St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Barton upon Irwell

Listing Text

ECCLES REGENT STREET
SJ 79 NE
(north side)
1481-/4/10001 no. 33 (Lamb Hotel)

II

Public House, dated 1906 on parapet; by Mr Newton of Hartley, Hacking & Co., for Holt's Brewery. Red brick with red terracotta and red sandstone dressings, slate roof with red ridge tiles and a cupola with lead-clad domed roof. Trapezoid plan on comer site. Eclectic style. Two storeys and five windows, moulded terracotta cornice and a parapet with shaped gables linked by balustrades, tall channelled chimney in 4th bay. Central bay has an entrance with terracotta pilasters and a segmental cornice on coupled consoles, a narrow oriel at first floor level with a
domed cap and broken pediment over, above an upstand containing a plaque with a lamb rises to a segmental pediment with the date '1906'. Otherwise both floors have narrow sash windows, that at ground floor with 4-pane top lights and cut and etched lower panes. To right splayed corner has blocked entrance to vault; right return has blocked entrance to former outdoor department. INTERIOR: little altered plan and fittings. Entrance lobby has door to right to vault, ahead a mahogany carved screen has panels and overlights and a door with cut and etched
glazing with the words 'Lamb Hotel'. Hall with dado of Art Nouveau glazed light and dark green tiles with red roses with continues up the stair well, a mahogany stair of heavy Jacobean design and curved bar with brilliant-cut glazed hatches and overlights. Entrances to rooms have elaborate Jacobean style surrounds and doors cut and etched glass with the words 'Bar Parlour' 'Billiard Room' etc. Rooms have fixed upholstered seating, bell pushes, lobby screens and Jacobean style chimneypieces. The seating in the billiard room is on raised platforms around the room. The vault has fixed seating with matchboard backs; this room has been altered to incorporate the outdoor department. An elaborate and almost intact example of an early C20 gin palace.


Listing NGR: SJ7797198579

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.