This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.482 / 53°28'55"N
Longitude: -2.3404 / 2°20'25"W
OS Eastings: 377510
OS Northings: 398422
OS Grid: SJ775984
Mapcode National: GBR DX35.3H
Mapcode Global: WH989.0QTZ
Plus Code: 9C5VFMJ5+RV
Entry Name: Royal Oak Public House
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346234
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358705
Location: Salford, Greater Manchester, M30
Electoral Ward/Division: Barton
Built-Up Area: Eccles
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Eccles St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ 79 NE,
BARTON LANE (north-west side),
Royal Oak PH
Public house. Dated 1904 on right-hand corner; by Mr Newton of Hartley, Hacking & Co.,
slightly altered. Red brick with buff terracotta dressings, slate roof hipped to the right.
Trapeziform plan on corner site. Edwardian baroque style. Two storeys over cellars, five windows
and a splayed corner to right from which chimney rises. Terracotta modillioned cornice, and
a brick parapet. The third bay has an entrance with a terracotta architrave and a segmental
pediment. Sash windows with terracotta architraves, two ground floor windows to left have
elliptical arched heads. Splayed corner has broad decorated terracotta band between floors and
at first floor a plaque lettered 'Royal Oak/Hotel' and the date 1904. Long right hand return side
with six windows in similar style, entrance to outdoor department in second bay and another
entrance in third bay with round headed doorway. A wide end bay has tripartite windows at
first floor beneath a segmental terracotta pediment. Attached wall, gate piers with terracotta
finials; a small stable block in yard.
INTERIORS: Entrance lobby with door to vault to right.
Ahead a mahogany screen with glazed panels and overlights has a door with cut and etched glass
with the words 'Royal Oak Hotel'. Hall with a dado of dark green glazed Art Nouveau tiles
with a floral motif with continues up stairwell, mahogany stair of Jacobean design, and an
elaborate bar with glazed tiles as before and brilliant-cut glazed hatches and overlights. Entrances
to rooms have Jacobean style surrounds and doors with cut and etched glass with the words 'Bar
Parlour', 'News Room' etc. Rooms generally have fixed upholstered seating, bell pushes, lobby
screens and fireplaces some with Art Nouveau tiles. Vault has fixed seating with matchboard
backs, bar front with carved Ionic pilasters and a lobby with internal door with cut and etched
glass with the words 'Outdoor Department'.
Listing NGR: SJ7751098422
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings