History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel and Crematorium, Dukinfield Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in Dukinfield, Tameside

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4796 / 53°28'46"N

Longitude: -2.0836 / 2°5'1"W

OS Eastings: 394546

OS Northings: 398105

OS Grid: SJ945981

Mapcode National: GBR FXW6.PC

Mapcode Global: WHB9J.YSYT

Entry Name: Chapel and Crematorium, Dukinfield Cemetery

Listing Date: 26 August 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084303

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358715

Location: Tameside, SK16

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: Dukinfield

Built-Up Area: Dukinfield

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Dukinfield St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Dukinfield

Listing Text

DUKINFIELD HALL GREEN ROAD
SJ 99 SW
1033-/3/10008 Chapel and crematorium
Dukinfield Cemetery
II
Former Anglican and Non-Conformist Cemetery Chapels, now Anglican Chapel and
Crematorium. 1865, with C20 alterations and additions. By Paull and Aycliffe, architects, of
Manchester. 'L' plan complex, the present chapel aligned east-west, the crematorium extending
southwards at the east end. Coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings and wall banding,
with coped gables,Welsh slated roof covering and crested red clay ridge tiles. Entrance front
(north) with steeply-pitched gable to former non-conformist chapel to left, and set back, the
4-bay anglican chapel. In the angle between the 2 ranges is a square tower with an octagonal
turret and spire. Former chapel gable with 4-light, pointed arched window with multifoil
traceried head. 2-stage tower with tall coupled lancets to 2nd stage, pilaster buttresses, stylised
corbel table and a stiff leaf cornice. Above, steep pyramidal pinnacles sit on low shafts, with an
octagonal turret with attached shafts to angles, and an ashlar spire with blind lucarnes. At
north-east corner of tower, a low octagonal turret with spire.Further to the right, gabled single
storey entrance porch to chapel with wide double chamfered arch. West gable to chapel with
tall 5-light window with multifoil traceried head. Rear wall with 3, 2-light windows with
quatrefoil heads, and a single light opening with trefoil head. Advanced polygonal apsidal end
to former chapel to right, with a multifoil circular light to each facet. Further right, catslide
roofed extension to former chapel roof, penetrated by gables of different sizes. Interior to
chapel; scissor braced roof, low 3-bay arcade between nave and north aisle with short red
marble columns and crocket capitals. The chapels formed the centrepiece of the cemetery design
and have group value with the cemetery office (q.v.) to the west.


Listing NGR: SJ9454698105

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.