History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holy Trinity Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4891 / 53°29'20"N

Longitude: -2.1034 / 2°6'12"W

OS Eastings: 393234

OS Northings: 399161

OS Grid: SJ932991

Mapcode National: GBR FXR2.DZ

Mapcode Global: WHB9J.NKKJ

Entry Name: Holy Trinity Church

Listing Date: 19 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084305

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358721

Location: Tameside, OL6

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Ashton under Lyne

Listing Text

The following buildings shall be added to the list:-

ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE DEAN STREET
SJ 99 NW

1478-4/10003 HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

- II

Anglican church. 1876-8. By Henry and Medland Taylor, for George Heginbottom,
patron with late C20 alterations by G. Holland, to provide community facilities within
the church. Red brick with blue brick banding and patterning, and ashlar sandstone
dressings. Coped gables, and patterned Welsh slate roof coverings. Buttressed belfry to
west end, above lean-to baptistry and flanking porch. Tall nave roof extends over chancel
and apsidal sanctuary, with single storey chevet beyond south aisle with organ chamber
to east end, north aisle with vestry porch also to east end. West gable with lean-to roof
over baptistry and porches, pierced by stepped piers of twin flying buttresses, supporting
pilaster buttresses to gabled belfry, with three bell-openings in stepped pointed arches.
Diaper work patterning to nave gable with tall twin lancets below stepped roundel with
quatre foil light to centre and single outer lancets beyond buttresses. 3 bay lean-to, with
3 lights to baptistry and 2 lights to flanking porches. Porch doorways beneath moulded
brick stepped arches with simple hood moulds above. Double planked doors with
decorative scrollwork, hinge straps. Five-bay chancel and four bay aisles, the west end
bay a stair bay to each side. 2 pairs of coupled clerestorey lancets to each bay, 1:2:2:2:1
lancets to each aisle, including stair bay. Low buttresses define aisle bays, pilasters the
clerestorey bays. Twin lancets to projecting south gable organ chamber, and south vestry
door with stepped segmental arch rising from shouldered springers. Decorative ironwork
hinge-straps with trinitarian motif; a double triangle strap ends. Such motifs are repeated
in various forms throughout the building. 4 light windows to chevet, and cusped 2-light
windows, windows with cinquefoil heads to lights below quatrefoils to septagonal
sanctuary clerestorey. North side wall with gabled vestry chamber and lean-to vestry
porch to east. Faceted link between north aisle and vestry expressed externally as corner
tower vestry roof pierced by pier of flying buttresses supporting tall moulded brick
chimney stack, with heavy corbelled cap. INTERIOR: Arcade piers of grey granite
carry stepped pointed arches of moulded brick. Nave and clerestorey walling patterned
in red and yellow brick compound chancel arch piers of red granite, with limestone
capitals with foliage decoration. Sanctuary arcade carried on red granite columns against
screen of repositioned choir stalls. Altar rail and plinth wall removed during re-ordering.
Benches and decorative screen to vestry, and pierced timber screen with quatrefoil
openings to separate organ chamber from entry to chevet. Stained glass windows to side
walls depict St. Augustine and St. Chad on south side, St. George and St. Alban on north
side. Complex roof trusses, arch-braced king post trusses with curved (close pace) struts
alternating with arched scissor-braced trusses. The west end is now screened off and
floored to form community facilities within the church, and encloses a 3-bay screen of
columns formerly separating nave from baptistry. The church designed to seat between
700 and 800 people was erected at a cost of £10,000 on land given by the 7th Earl of
Stamford and Warrington.


Listing NGR: SJ9323499161

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.