History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vicarage to Holy Trinity Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4892 / 53°29'20"N

Longitude: -2.1027 / 2°6'9"W

OS Eastings: 393283

OS Northings: 399164

OS Grid: SJ932991

Mapcode National: GBR FXR2.KY

Mapcode Global: WHB9J.NKXH

Entry Name: Vicarage to Holy Trinity Church

Listing Date: 14 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084306

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358725

Location: Tameside, OL6

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Ashton under Lyne

Listing Text

ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE DEAN STREET
SJ 99 NW

1478-4/10004 VICARAGE TO HOLY
TRINITY CHURCH

- II

Vicarage. C1876 with late C20 alterations. By Henry and Medland Taylor red brick
with blue brick banding and embellishments, and ashlar sandstone dressings. Gable and
mid-slope brick chimney stacks with shallow raised vertical strips and projecting caps.
Welsh slated roof with crested clay ridge tiles. Double pile plan, with advanced gable to
east end of south elevation and double gable to east end of south elevation. Two storeys,
three bays with central entry to west of gabled crosswing. Doorway set within shallow
pointed arch headed recess, approached by shallow flight of steps. Chamfered brick arch
below stone hood mould. Half glazed double doors with arched heads and decorative
glazing bars. Narrow 2 light window with stone mullion, above doorway and similar
width ground floor opening without mullion below stone lintol to west. Rectangular
stone plaque in raised brick surround above window, with dentilled brick and plain stone
storey band between. Advanced gable to east with tall 3 light mullioned window to
ground floor, and 3 light window without mullion to first floor, below plain stone lintol,
and shallow arch in raised blue brick with cross motif to apex. Barge boards with
pendant finial carried on carved purlin ends. Double gable to west end with similar
pattern to barge boards. 3 light mullioned window to ground floor, 3 light casement to
first floor beneath plain ashlar lintol. Above this decorative infil to blue brick arch
containing trintanan symbol. All window joinery late C20, replacement work. Despite
alteration, the interior contains many items of interest, including encaustic tile surface to
hall, original panelled doors, moulded architraves and skirtings and plaster cornices. The
staircase is set into an internal central stairwell, lit from a roof light. Listed for group
value.


Listing NGR: SJ9328399164

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.