This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4779 / 53°28'40"N
Longitude: -2.1069 / 2°6'24"W
OS Eastings: 393003
OS Northings: 397915
OS Grid: SJ930979
Mapcode National: GBR FXQ6.NZ
Mapcode Global: WHB9J.LVY4
Entry Name: The Oxford Mills
Listing Date: 21 July 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084307
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358727
Location: Tameside, OL7
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's
Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE OXFORD STREET EAST
SJ 99 NW (South east side)
The Oxford Mills
Integrated cotton mill comprising 2 spinning mills either side of a
warehouse and office block, with weaving sheds attached to one mill.
First mill dated 1840, the second, 1851. Warehouse building c. 1850.
Weaving sheds possibly a later addition. Cast iron and brick fire-proof
structure, with brick cladding and low pitched Welsh slate roofs. Mill
no.1 of 6 storeys, 28x6 bays. Angles stressed with plain panelled
pilasters with heavy stone capitals. Small brick arched windows with
stone sills. Internal engine house to rear, in bay emphasised by
pilasters. Semi-octagonal stair tower towards centre of inner face of
mill, and storeyed bridge carried on cast-iron girders linking the
spinning block to the ware house building which forms the central block
of the complex. Warehouse also 5 storeyed, 10x5 bays with small brick
arched windows. Front gable end comprises offices on 2 storeys, with
central door in architrave with entablature carried on moulded console
brackets, and flnking windows with stressed stone architraves with flat
voussoir heads with key stones. Angles stressed. by plain panelled
pilasters with stone capitals linked to moulded parapet with raised
central blocking course. Very narrow single storeyed saw-toothed range
of 8 bays to southwest side of this block, probably card room extension.
A storeyed bridge links warehouse block to mill no.2. Dated 1851. 3
storeys but originally 4, and 10x5 bays. Weaving sheds adjoin mill no.2:
Single storeyed but extensively altered. An important example of an
integrated complex, planned as a series of linked blocks.
Listing NGR: SJ9300397915
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings