History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alexandra Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Edgeley and Cheadle Heath, Stockport

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4019 / 53°24'6"N

Longitude: -2.1755 / 2°10'31"W

OS Eastings: 388426

OS Northings: 389472

OS Grid: SJ884894

Mapcode National: GBR FY73.S6

Mapcode Global: WHB9W.KR7C

Entry Name: Alexandra Hotel

Listing Date: 9 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084337

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358703

Location: Stockport, SK3

County: Stockport

Electoral Ward/Division: Edgeley and Cheadle Heath

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Stockport

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Edgeley and Cheadle Heath

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Stockport

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

SJ 8889
701-/10/10006

EDGELEY
NORTHGATE ROAD

Alexandra Hotel

II

Public House, dated 1911; red brick, painted stone and terracotta dressings, slate roof with red
brick chimneys, polished black granite plinth. Rectilinear plan on corner site with single storey
ranges to the right and to the rear. 5 windows, 2 storeys. Full-height octagonal bay to left, central
bay breaks forward with entrance under segmental pediment, window at first floor has red
terracotta plaque over, a segmental gablet rises above containing a red terracotta plaque with the
date 'AD 1911'. Ground floor has pilasters with floral drops on each corner linked by a cornice, first
floor is banded with painted stone. Sash windows, those at ground floor etched. Attached
single-storey range to right has bay window with the word 'Billiards' etched on the glass. Left hand
return has entrance to former outdoor department. INTERIOR: Entrance lobby with central door
in painted wooden screen, hall with dado of green and cream glazed tiles with multi-coloured
Art-Nouveau motifs in coloured glass. Rooms have painted wooden door surrounds with
segmental pediments, doors have etched glass panels with the words 'Tap Room', 'Smoke Room',
'Bar Parlour', etc. Most rooms have fixed upholstered seating, lobby screens with coloured glass
and original fireplaces, some with Art-Nouveau style chimneypieces. Bar parlour has a glazed
screen, billiard room has exposed roof timbers and painted glass skylight. Bar back and outdoor
department altered.
A good example of an early C20 public house which retains an elaborate interior with many
original features.

Listing NGR: SJ8842689472

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.