This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7819 / 51°46'54"N
Longitude: -0.0016 / 0°0'5"W
OS Eastings: 537950
OS Northings: 211137
OS Grid: TL379111
Mapcode National: GBR KC1.6FF
Mapcode Global: VHGPP.XGJV
Plus Code: 9C3XQXJX+Q9
Entry Name: Rye Common Pumping Station
Listing Date: 30 September 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084379
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355844
Location: Stanstead St. Margarets, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
Civil Parish: Stanstead St Margarets
Built-Up Area: Hoddesdon
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Amwell with St Margaret's
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/06/2020
HODDESDON ROAD (east side)
Rye Common Pumping Station
Pumping Station. 1882, converted to electricity 1935 (HCC Sites and Monuments Record) for New River Company. Yellow brick with buff gauged arches and Portland stone brackets to hipped red tile roofs.
A dramatic design of three pavilions stepping down the embankment of the New River. Tallest at the top designed as the engine house has clasping corner pilasters with stone used for necking band and continuous torus string course below the wide eaves and giant curved stone brackets. On south front an arched single-storey cloister with entrances. Above, two large rectangular recesses each with two slender round headed window with small panes in cast iron frames. On narrower east and west sides a tall arched recess has similar windows. Lower middle pavilion on north side has similar giant eaves brackets, a rectangular recessed panel on east with two square headed windows. Along road frontage a low projecting ornamental building with stone parapet and central gable with circular window. On north a lower pavilion with hipped red roof and three arched openings on east the central one a door with radial fanlight. Narrow single-bay building attached on north with large glazed lantern over hipped roof. Single arched window on east.
Listing NGR: TL3795011137
Other nearby listed buildings