This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2409 / 51°14'27"N
Longitude: 1.1411 / 1°8'27"E
OS Eastings: 619342
OS Northings: 153763
OS Grid: TR193537
Mapcode National: GBR TYR.1BN
Mapcode Global: VHLGV.Q2LL
Entry Name: Highland Court Hospital
Listing Date: 14 March 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085542
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171361
Location: Bekesbourne-with-Patrixbourne, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Civil Parish: Bekesbourne-with-Patrixbourne
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5273 PATRIXBOURNE ROMAN ROAD
Highland Court Hospital
TR 1953 22/470
Originally called Higham Court. C18 core with L-shaped building around it
in Edwardian Palladian style. Main front of 2 storeys in ashlar with slate
In the centre is a portico of 4 fluted Corinthian columns on tall bases standing
on a flight of 7 steps and rising through both storeys to support a pediment
with ornamental scroll work in its tympanum. The first floor windows in the
portico are deeply recessed behind a balcony. The portion on each side of
the portico is flanked by rusticated pilasters. The end window bays are flanked
by additional rusticated pilasters set between fluted Corinthian half columns.
The other window bays are flanked by similar half columns. Between the bases
of the half columns are panels of imitation balustrading. Modillion cornice
and balustraded parapet over with solid portions at the ends surmounted by
small pediments. Casement windows on first floor in moulded surrounds. French
windows on ground floor in similar surrounds with architraves over and pediments
over those in the end window bay and those behind the portico. Hung sashes
with glazing bars.
The garden front is the C18 building, faced with cement. Two storeys, attic
and basement. Mansarded slate roof with 5 dormers, cornice and parapet. Seven
windows and 2 window spaces, moulded surrounds, with architraves over those
on first floor. A full-height bay.
Early C20 loggia of 7 Doric columns standing on 4 round-headed rusticated arches
with steps down to the garden in the centre, and a cornice and solid parapet
over. To the south-east a service wing of 3 windows. The north-west and south-east
fronts have 3 windows each and are flanked by rusticated pilasters. Curved
bay of 3 windows on ground floor with balustraded parapet over.
On the north-west front a loggia of 8 twin Corinthian columns, with a curved
bay of 3 windows behind it, leading to a ground floor projection which has
one window flanked by twin pilasters on 3 elevations, curved walls between
these windows and a solid balustraded parapet over.
Listing NGR: TR1934253763
Other nearby listed buildings