This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4503 / 51°27'1"N
Longitude: 0.2673 / 0°16'2"E
OS Eastings: 557641
OS Northings: 174811
OS Grid: TQ576748
Mapcode National: GBR X5.634
Mapcode Global: VHHNV.LT51
Plus Code: 9F32F728+4W
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 172702
Location: Stone, Dartford, Kent, DA9
Civil Parish: Stone
Built-Up Area: Swanscombe
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Stone St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
5274 STONE RECTORY ROAD
TQ 57 SE 4/68 1.6.67 Church of St Mary
C13, C14, C15, C16 and C19. The Bishops of Rochester had a manor at Stone and
the church was in their patronage. Built of flint with stone dressings, patched
with brick in places, and tiled roof. Chancel with north chapel, now the vestry,
nave with lean-to aisles and west tower, the aisles continued to the north and
south of the tower to end flush with its west wall. Late C13 interior with
3 bay nave and rib-vaulted chancel. Late C13 chancel wall arcading - the spandrels
of which are identical to similar arcading in Westminster Abbey in the Choir Chapel
- which indicates a date of circa 1260 and that Westminster masons built the
church at Stone. The north aisle has remains of late C13 wall paintings. The
west tower is early C14 and there is a Perpendicular north chapel of circa 1527.
G E Street restored the church circa 1859-60 and the roof dates from this time.
Brass to John Lumbarde died 1408. Small tomb chest to Sir John Wiltshire died 1527.
Small hanging monument in west chapel to Robert Chapman died 1574.
Listing NGR: TQ5704675064
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings