This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2893 / 51°17'21"N
Longitude: 0.5859 / 0°35'9"E
OS Eastings: 580409
OS Northings: 157642
OS Grid: TQ804576
Mapcode National: GBR PR3.4Y3
Mapcode Global: VHJM8.3VLG
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086165
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173712
Location: Thurnham, Maidstone, Kent, ME14
Civil Parish: Thurnham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 85 NW THURNHAM THURNHAM LANE
6/205 Church of St. Mary the
Parish church. C12 to early C17. North chapel of galleted
stone, porches of small uneven blocks of stone, rest random
flint and stone. Plain tile roofs. West tower, continuous
nave and chancel with opposed north and south porches at west
end.Rectangular north chapel towards east end of nave. Battlemented
C14 tower of 2 stages, upper stage possibly rebuilt, with angle
buttresses. Cusped single-light belfry openings, small
Decorated west window and small west door with 2-centred arched
head, lightly-moulded jambs and hood-mould. South porch: early
C15, on plinth. Earlier inner door with 2-centred arched head
and moulded jambs. South wall of nave and chancel contains 2
restored early Perpendicular windows with hood-moulds towards
west end, one restored lancet and one cusped 2-light window with
no central light, set in architrave with angled head. Slight
trace of straight-joint immediately east of lancet; section to
west C12 or C13, section to east C14. East end has clasping
buttresses and large restored decorated east window under hood-
moulds stopped with carved heads. North chapel: circa 1603.
Rectangular on high stone plinth with small hipped roof behind
battlemented parapet. East wall has large rectangular window
of 4 plain round-headed lights under hood-mould. Smaller 3-
light window in same style in north wall, with restored blocked
3-centred arched doorway with rectangular hood-mould to west.
Small projecting stone stack at junction of west wall and nave.
North wall of nave has single restored early Perpendicular window.
North porch: similar to south porch, but with original roof.
Interior: Blocked round-headed Norman window in west end of
north wall. C14 tower arch. Single C15 round-headed arch to
north chapel, withmoulded capitals to piers, 3 possibly C14 crown-
post trusses to nave with moulded tie-beams and crown-posts
Chancel roof with collar purlin but no crown-posts. Chapel roof
early C17 with moulded beam and joists. 2 very small stone
fragments in south wall of chancel, one containing top of a small
decorative shaft. Moulded corbels in north and south walls,
possibly for rood loft.Aumbry. Piscina with shaped stone
basin. 2-centred arched sedile with filletted roll-moulding.
Elaborately carved reredos in memory of Mrs. Julia Jane Hampson,
d. 1904. wife of the Rev. William Seymour Hampson, made in
Oberammergau. Late C18 or early C19 pews. Octagonal font,
possibly C14, decorated with 8 different emblems. Monuments:
2 small brasses in Chapel floor; one to William Covert, one to
Lady Barbara Cutt, d. 1618, who founded the chapel in honour
of Sir Henry Cutt, knight, her first husband. On west wall of chapel,
momument with open pediment and fluted pilasters with shield
to base, to memory of Richard Sheldon Esq., d. 1736. Monument
on south wall of chancel in form of parchment hung with drapes
and surmounted by shield and gadrooned vase to memory of Mariae
Dering, d. 1725. On north wall of chancel, monument with broken
pediment containing plain urn, to memory of Thomas Wise, d. 1790
and other members of the family. Similar monument adjacent,to
Thomas Burwash, d. 1791, and members of Wise family.
Listing NGR: TQ8023257319
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings