This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2734 / 51°16'24"N
Longitude: 0.5222 / 0°31'19"E
OS Eastings: 576027
OS Northings: 155718
OS Grid: TQ760557
Mapcode National: GBR PR7.0VW
Mapcode Global: VHJMF.08F4
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 30 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086305
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173423
Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME14
Electoral Ward/Division: High Street
Built-Up Area: Maidstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
The Town Hall
TQ 7655 NW 2/21 30.7.51.
Built 1762-3. The ground floor was originally used as a market, then converted
into the police court. 2 storeys. 7 windows, the easternmost and westernmost
ones slightly set back. Ground floor Portland ashlar above red brick with
stone dressings. Stone modillion cornice and brick parapet with pediment,
above the 3 easternmost windows of the non-recessed portion. Cupola of 8
Ionic columns supporting a small dome surmounted by a gilded ball and weather
vane. 1st floor windows in stone architrave surrounds with pediments over,
alternately triangular and curved. Large round-headed windows on the ground
floor flanked by pilasters, with a stringcourse above the ground floor. 2
round-headed doorways with large semi-circular fanlights and doors of 6 moulded
panels. The east end of the building forms a canted bay of 3 windows. The
Council Chamber contains a fine Rococo painted ceiling and drops of musical
instruments on the wall by Galli and Cotti. 2 C18 pedimented overmantels,
and 6 fielded panelled doors. There are also 2 large cells with graffiti carved
by the prisoners. This was used as a prison before the prison along Boxley
Road was built and incorporates timbers from an earlier timber-framed building
on the site.
Listing NGR: TQ7602755719
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings