This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3763 / 54°22'34"N
Longitude: -2.8153 / 2°48'55"W
OS Eastings: 347136
OS Northings: 498176
OS Grid: SD471981
Mapcode National: GBR 8KST.9Z
Mapcode Global: WH82N.Q8KC
Entry Name: Tower of Chapel of St Margaret
Listing Date: 12 February 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086550
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76488
Location: Over Staveley, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8
Civil Parish: Over Staveley
Built-Up Area: Staveley
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Staveley St James
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 49 NE,
MAIN STREET (east side),
Tower of Chapel of St Margaret
Tower only (Church demolished 1865). Said to have been founded in 1388.
Probably late C14 or early C15 with later alterations. Rubble with limestone
dressings; C20 limestone pinnacles and coping to parapet. West doorway has
moulded jambs and round-arched head under hood-mould with defaced labels; square
headed window above of three trefoiled lights with hood mould and labels with small
round headed niche to either side; bell opening with stone surround and slate
louvres; gable with clock in memory of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee and
plaque dated 1887. Plaque commemorating the men of Staveley who served in the
South African campaign (1900-1901). East wall has square headed window of two
trefoiled lights inserted in blocked opening.
Listing NGR: SD4713698176
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 3 February 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings