History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School North of Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Heversham, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2443 / 54°14'39"N

Longitude: -2.7749 / 2°46'29"W

OS Eastings: 349600

OS Northings: 483458

OS Grid: SD496834

Mapcode National: GBR 9M2C.19

Mapcode Global: WH838.BLV3

Entry Name: The Old School North of Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 12 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086555

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76497

Location: Heversham, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA7

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Heversham

Built-Up Area: Heversham

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Heversham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Levens

Listing Text

SD 48 SE
2/4
HEVERSHAM

Heversham

The Old School North
of Church of St Peter
(q.v)

G.V.
II

Old Girls School. Initials and date JG on gable. Slobbered rubble walls with
................................................1838
stone dressings; graduated greenslate roof with stone ridge. Single storey.
Gable to left. 3 2-light windows with trefoil heads to lights, hood moulds and
chamfered stops. The school was built as the first Girls School in Heversham at
the expense of James J. Gandy of Kendal. Work started to erect it and a school
house in the Churchyard without permission. After a number of meetings had been
held it was resolved that the school could be built in the Churchyard, provided
it was fenced off, and land adjacent to the Churchyard was donated by George
Wilson of Dallam Towers on which a School House (q.v) was erected at the expense
of the Hon Mrs Howard. Further details: Curwen, John F. History of Heversham
with Milnthorpe, pub. Titus Wilson, Kendal 1930.


Listing NGR: SD4960083458

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.