History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House North of Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Heversham, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2444 / 54°14'39"N

Longitude: -2.7746 / 2°46'28"W

OS Eastings: 349616

OS Northings: 483461

OS Grid: SD496834

Mapcode National: GBR 9M2C.38

Mapcode Global: WH838.BLZ2

Entry Name: The Old School House North of Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 12 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086556

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76498

Location: Heversham, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA7

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Heversham

Built-Up Area: Heversham

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Heversham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Levens

Listing Text

SD 48 SE
2/5
HEVERSHAM

Heversham

The Old School House
North of Church of
St Peter (q.v)

G.V.
II

Old School House, now house. Initials and date M.H. 1841 on gable. Rendered
walls with limestone dressings; graduated greenslate roof with stone ridge; one
end chimney to left, central chimney with round shaft. Gothick style. Irregular
plan. 2 storeys with single-storey portion to left. 2 adjacent gables to
front. Right hand gabled portion has (overhanging) upper floor resting on
massive roughly dressed limestone lintel supported on two weathered limestone
piers. 3-light window to ground floor, 4-light window with hood mould above,
both with chamfered stone mullions and surrounds and leaded glazing: upper
window has central lights set one above the other. Left hand gabled portion
narrower: board door in stone surround with 4-centred arched head, small
casement over. Single-storey portion to left has 2-light window with stone
mullions. See also notes for The Old School (q.v) and Curwen, John F. History
of Heversham with Milnthorpe, pub. Titus Wilson, Kendal, 1930, for further
details.


Listing NGR: SD4961683461

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.