History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tolson Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Strickland Ketel, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3518 / 54°21'6"N

Longitude: -2.7757 / 2°46'32"W

OS Eastings: 349681

OS Northings: 495421

OS Grid: SD496954

Mapcode National: GBR 9L13.WR

Mapcode Global: WH82P.BWH5

Entry Name: Tolson Hall

Listing Date: 28 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086566

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76417

Location: Strickland Ketel, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Strickland Ketel

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Burneside St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Burneside

Listing Text

SD 49 NE STRICKLAND KETEL

5/34 Tolson Hall

II


House, probably originally Hall with crosswings built in 1638 for Thomas Tolson
(or Towson) a tobacco merchant. West wing and Hall substantially altered and
extended c1800, East wing heightened and partly rebuilt during late C19.
Rendered, apart from East wing of roughly coursed rubble. Slate roofs with C19
decorative barge-boards and finials; 3 C19 stone chimneys with square stacks set
diagonally. 2 storeys plus attics. Garden elevation has central porch with
pitched roof, decorative barge-boards and finials; 2 windows to either side: 1
C19 casement with iron-framed opening light, 2 sashes with 4-centred arched
heads in stone surrounds c.1800, one of which retains original decorative iron
glazing bars; one later C19 sash window in East wing to match. 5 sash windows
to 2nd floor with central gabled dormer above. Interior has room with C17
panelling on two walls pieced together from original house including carved
panel with initials and date 1638 T&AT (for Thomas and Anne Tolson) and
additional C17 panelling on East wall brought from elsewhere during C19
(according to owner) dated 1687. 1st floor has two decorative plaster panels in
adjoining rooms with initials and dates 1638 T&AT IR and 1639 T&AT CR both with
pattern of trailing tobacco leaves, the former also has the heads of a goat and
a stag. Preserved in the hall windows is some C17 decorative glass, one quarry
dated 1638 inscribed "God by this meanes has sent what I on this house have
spent" with an illustration of pipes and tobacco plugs, and another similarly
dated and inscribed with the addition of the words "All prayse unto his name
that gave the meanes to build the same". The remaining quarries contain various
coats of arms. See also R.C.H.M. p.220.


Listing NGR: SD4968195421

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.