History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Irton with Santon, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3916 / 54°23'29"N

Longitude: -3.4004 / 3°24'1"W

OS Eastings: 309162

OS Northings: 500470

OS Grid: NY091004

Mapcode National: GBR 4KPN.MH

Mapcode Global: WH711.QWY6

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 8 September 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086671

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76247

Location: Irton with Santon, Copeland, Cumbria, CA19

County: Cumbria

District: Copeland

Civil Parish: Irton with Santon

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Irton St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Gosforth

Listing Text

NY 00 SE IRTON WITH SANTON

13/49 Church of St Paul

8.9.67

G.V. II*

Parish church. Rebuilt on site of earlier church 1857 by Miles Thompson of
Kendal; vestry on north side added in 1866, rebuilt 1872 when chancel extended
by William White of London. Pebble-dashed, with dressed stone details, on
chamfered plinth; chamfered eaves band on corbels; stepped buttressing.
Graduated slate roofs with terra-cotta ridge tiles; stone copings and kneelers
with apex crosses. 4-bay nave with west tower, 3-bay chancel, and adjoining
vestry. Plank door with pointed head in gabled north porch; windows have
pointed heads. 3-stage west tower has taller octagonal stair turret, with
external access, at junction with nave on north side; both embattled. Interior:
Aisleless nave with double hammer-beam roof trusses; pointed tower and chancel
arches. Hammer-beam roof over altar; painted reredos. Gothick carving to choir
pews. Minton tiles throughout. Octagonal wooden pulpit with arcaded, openwork,
sides. Stone font has 4 marble shafts supporting circular bowl with evangelist
symbols carved on panels at cardinal points. Scrollwork decoration to
wrought-iron gates in tower arch. Good C19 glass including 4 panels by Morris &
Co.


Listing NGR: NY0916200470

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.