History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kirkby Ireleth, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2297 / 54°13'47"N

Longitude: -3.1768 / 3°10'36"W

OS Eastings: 323383

OS Northings: 482196

OS Grid: SD233821

Mapcode National: GBR 6M8J.1J

Mapcode Global: WH71Y.5YH9

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086792

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75870

Location: Kirkby Ireleth, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA17

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kirkby Ireleth

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Ireleth St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Soutergate

Listing Text

SD 28 SW,
12/96

KIRKBY IRELETH,
BECK SIDE,
Church of St Cuthbert

25.03.70

II*

Church. C12 nave and chancel and early C16 north aisle, built as chantry
chapel, all heavily restored in 1880s. West tower, 1829. Stone rubble with
dressed quoins, ashlar dressings; slate roofs. 3-bay nave has 2-light
traceried windows and 1864 rainwater heads. Gabled porch has pointed opening;
inner doorway c1170 of two orders with waterleaf capitals and beak-head mouldings.
Gable over chancel has slate hanging. North aisle is gabled; 3-light east
window and 2-light west window. North elevation has straight-headed window
of three ogee-headed lights to 1st bay, 3rd bay has similar 2-light window;
2nd bay has 2-light hollow-chamfered-mullioned window; 4th bay has trefoil-
headed light. Chancel has elliptical-headed east window of five lights with
Perpendicular tracery, hood has one head stop; south side has Y-tracery
window, entrance and window of three ogee-headed lights, north side has similar
2-light window and small round-headed light.

INTERIOR has 3-bay arcade.
Timber-framed chancel arch with tracery panels. Collar and tie-beam roofs.
Some C14 stained glass: bust of Christ and Cross to chancel windows. Chancel
has blocked south light and C18 paintings of Moses and Aaron. Font of goblet
type with roll mouldings to arrises. Blocked squint between aisle and chancel.
Bequest boards in porch.


Listing NGR: SD2338382196

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.