This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.276 / 54°16'33"N
Longitude: -3.2158 / 3°12'56"W
OS Eastings: 320932
OS Northings: 487385
OS Grid: SD209873
Mapcode National: GBR 5LZZ.LY
Mapcode Global: WH71Q.KSXB
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 25 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75822
Location: Broughton West, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA20
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Broughton West
Built-Up Area: Broughton in Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Broughton-in-Furness St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 2087 BROUGHTON WEST CHURCH STREET (south side)
23/51 Church of St Mary Magdalene
Church. Medieval south aisle, formerly nave and chancel, with C12 south
entrance. C16 and Cl9 alterations; single-vessel nave and chancel, 1874;
south-west tower, 1900. C19 alterations and extensions by Paley and Austin.
Stone rubble with ashlar dressings and bands; and slate roofs, sill courses
and coped gables. Nave has 2 round-headed double-chamfered windows to west
end; shallow weathered buttresses, 2 paired windows and single window to north
elevation; 3-bay chancel has larger buttresses, 2 with half-round upper parts.
3 round-headed windows and rose window to chancel east end. South aisle has
3-light Perpendicular east window; south elevation has 4 round-headed windows
and C16 eastern window of 3 pointed lights. Gabled south parch has open
timber frame on stone base; inner opening is C12, of 2 orders with nookshafts
and water leaf capitals. Tower has broad clasping buttresses and corbel
table supporting coped parapet with east and west gablets. Round-headed
windows and louvred bell openings. Interior has 5-bay arcade on round piers
with plain and waterleaf capitals. Nave roof has coupled rafters and enriched
kingpost trusses. Low wall to chancel; pulpit has blind tracery panels
stalls have turned balusters and relief panels; open tracery panels to lectern.
Sanctuary has wainscotting and reredos with relief panels and cresting. Aisle
has restored piscina, goblet form font with moulded base and shaft; collar and
tie-beam roof. Round-headed tower door with tympanum. C19 stained glass.
Listing NGR: SD2093287385
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings