History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Casterton Old Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Casterton, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2117 / 54°12'42"N

Longitude: -2.5785 / 2°34'42"W

OS Eastings: 362368

OS Northings: 479709

OS Grid: SD623797

Mapcode National: GBR BMFQ.KZ

Mapcode Global: WH94P.CDCK

Entry Name: Casterton Old Hall

Listing Date: 12 November 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086900

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75617

Location: Casterton, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Casterton

Built-Up Area: Casterton

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Barbon

Listing Text


SD 67 NW CASTERTON CASTERTON

19/38 Casterton Old Hall
12.11.52
II

House, now school residence. C17 with later addition. Stone rubble with
slobbered mortar and slate roof. Central entrance plan with east extension.
South facade of 2 storeys and 4 bays; the 2nd bay projects as narrow porch bay
under catslide roof; 4th bay is lower, under shallower roof. Double-chamfered-
mullioned windows, most with transom and label mould; ground floor has
4:3:2-light windows; 1st floor has 4:2 (no transom): 2:2-light windows.
Entrance has flat pilasters with hollow chamfered arrises, lintel has
hollow-chamfered segmental soffit with keystone with grenade, pulvinated frieze
with rosettes, cornice and slate canopy; panelled door. 1st and 3rd bays have
gable-end stacks with diagonal shafts, that to 1st bay projects. Left return
has cross-mullioned window to ground floor, 2 windows of 2 lights to 1st floor
and 2 attic lights. Rear has gabled wing with projecting gable-end stack with
diagonal shafts. Basement and attic lights; ground floor 4-light window with
leaded glazing, similar 3-light window to 1st floor; right return has sashed
windows, that to ground floor with glazing bars. Rear of extension has casement
windows. Right return has entrance with wide-boarded door. Interior: Ground
floor has 2 fireplaces, one with Tudor-arched opening, twisted wood, columns and
overmantel with relief panels of busts, dragons, etc., probably of 1530-40
re-used, the other with segmental head and moulded jambs. Built-in cupboard has
fluted columns flanking front doors with panels inscribed: "WHA" and "1613",
and also flanking rear fielded panelling. Round-headed entrance to stair has
paired 3-panel doors; one 2-panel door with bolection moulding, stair has turned
balustered and newels. 1st floor has room with panelling moulded to 3 sides,
12-panel door with wood handle.


Listing NGR: SD6236879709

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.