History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Casterton, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2115 / 54°12'41"N

Longitude: -2.5771 / 2°34'37"W

OS Eastings: 362460

OS Northings: 479687

OS Grid: SD624796

Mapcode National: GBR BMFR.V1

Mapcode Global: WH94P.DD1Q

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 21 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335935

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75616

Location: Casterton, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Casterton

Built-Up Area: Casterton

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Barbon

Listing Text


SD 67 NW CASTERTON CASTERTON

19/37 Church of Holy
Trinity

II

Church. 1831-3, chancel c1860, by Crowther. Rock-faced limestone with ashlar
dressings, chancel of rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Nave with
west tower; chancel with north organ loft. 6-bay nave has gabled south porch
and small gabled vestry opposite. Wide eaves and verges, scrolly gutter
brackets. Weathered buttresses alternate with lancet windows with continuous
hoodmould; diagonal buttresses. Porch has pointed arch. Tower has diagonal
buttresses, chamfered angles to bell stage; which has louvred pointed bell
openings with hoodmoulds, cornice and ashlar parapet with raised angles. West
face has window with 4-centred head and label mould, with triangular-headed
window above, and clock face below bell opening. Vestry has east entrance and
north window. Chancel has weathered base and sill course; steep roof with coped
gable with cross. 3 stepped lancets to east end have hoodmoulds. South side
has trefoil-headed entrance and 3 lancets; north side has lancet to east of
gabled organ loft with weathered buttress and coped gable. Interior: Nave has
scissor truss roof with collars and kingposts. Wall paintings by J. CLarke
c1905-10, painted on canvas. 2 wall memorials with gothic detail; Rev W. Carus
Wilson (1859) and W.W. Carus Wilson (1851). Windows have plain irregular glass
in abstract patterns, but west windows have glass by H. Holiday 1894-7. Tower
arch to baptistry; octagonal font on clustered shafts, wall tablets with gothic
detail and window by Shrigley and Hunt. Hanoverian arms in relief over
entrance. Chancel arch has corbelled trefoil shafts; arch to left has screen
with open tracery and iron grille to arch. Chancel has collar rafter roof,
reredos has blind tracery and relief panel, communion rail with wrought iron
diaper work, timber pulpit, lectern and stalls with pierced tracery panels; most
fittings probably by Paley and Austin. Wall paintings and stained glass by
H. Holiday, 1894-7. Founded by Rev William Carus Wilson, who also founded the
Clergy Daughters' School, attended by Charlotte Bronte (when it was at Cowan
Bridge), and who is believed to be the model for a character in Jane Eyre.


Listing NGR: SD6246079687

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.