This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9717 / 54°58'18"N
Longitude: -1.6196 / 1°37'10"W
OS Eastings: 424447
OS Northings: 564183
OS Grid: NZ244641
Mapcode National: GBR SNC.XS
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.390H
Entry Name: Blackfriars South Range
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087001
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304705
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2464 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE MONK STREET
14/6/54. Blackfriars south range
(formerly listed as Nos.
12 to 17 consecutive)
Dominican Friary, later Company Halls and almshouses, now restaurant and tourist
information centre and exhibition space with Smiths' Company Hall. Medieval with
C18 and C19 alterations; restored 1978-81. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar
dressings; Welsh slate roof at left to Cordwainers' hall, other roofs pantiles with
2 rows of stone slates at eaves. Cordwainers' Hall rebuilt 1843 by John Wardle
(dated door head). 2 storeys; 4:3:3:3 windows. Slightly-projecting
left bay has boarded, studded door in moulded Tudor-arched surround with date in
spandrels and commemorative panel above; raised dripmould contains carved
Cordwainers' arms. Single cusped window above. Plainer Tudor arch to a second
door flanked by 3-light casements with rounded top corners; cusped 2-light windows
above, all with label moulds. Eaves string and roll-moulded parapet. Butchers'
hall: rebuilt 1739; renewed door at right and ground-floor horizontal sliding
sashes under renewed stone lintels. Renewed cross windows with wedge stone
lintels above, and small blocked rectangular window. Tanners' Hall: renewed
chamfered 2-centred passage arch at right to cloister; 4 lancets with some renewed
masonry and deep splayed reveals. 3 renewed cross windows with flat stone lintels
above. Buttress with offsets between this and Smiths' Hall which has resited
carved Company arms dated 1679 above studded boarded door in shaped, moulded
surround; this bay, added in C19, has top window in gothic stone surround. 3
ground-floor lancets and 2 cross windows above, flanking commemorative panel
dating repairs of 1770. Interior shows wall benches in position of medieval
refectory benches. Upper floor has chimney piece dated 1739 in Butchers' Hall;
oval table with benches and turned balustrades in Tanners' Hall; day stairs
alongside passage; round table with benches and iron railings, wall benches,
chimney piece with paired classical attached columns, in Smiths' Hall. Source:
Barbara Harbottle "Black Friars, Newcastle upon Tyne" in Royal Archaeological
Institute Proceedings 1976 pp 112-114. A scheduled ancient monument.
Listing NGR: NZ2444764183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings