History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clarghyll Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Alston Moor, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.838 / 54°50'16"N

Longitude: -2.4286 / 2°25'42"W

OS Eastings: 372572

OS Northings: 549324

OS Grid: NY725493

Mapcode National: GBR CDHH.0H

Mapcode Global: WH91N.NNRH

Entry Name: Clarghyll Hall

Listing Date: 25 September 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087069

English Heritage Legacy ID: 73064

Location: Alston Moor, Eden, Cumbria, CA9

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Alston Moor

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Alston Moor

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Alston

Listing Text

NY 74 NW ALSTON MOOR


3/4 Clarghyll Hall
25.9.51
G.V. II*

Large house of several periods: C16 bastle, heightened and extended to north in
late C17 for Nicholas Whitfield; further extended to north for Thomas Whitfield
mid/late C18. Top floor of tower, east wing, and north study/chapel
(incorporating remains of another bastle) added c1860 (date on tower's north
gable) by Rev. Octavius James who lived here 1847-89; (he also designed his
church at Kirkhaugh, Northumberland). Coursed squared rubble with quoins; C19
work of ashlar. North wing has stone-flagged roof with stone mid and end
chimneys; C19 roofs of welsh slate with corbie-stepped gables and end chimney to
tower; 3 gables on north side of east wing with castellated octagonal chimney to
south side. L-shaped with 3-storey tower to left of centre, 2-storey north wing
and projecting east wing of one tall storey, all with undercrofts. Tower has
steps up to gabled C18 porch on right with C19 stone-traceried bow window on
right at 1st floor level; original stone mullioned window between with similar
above, that to right having inscription: N.W. JULY THE X 1679 on lintel and
motto on sill. (Staircase wing to rear has similar window dated MARCH 1678).
C19 mullioned windows to top floor. 5-bay north wing has wood mullioned and
transomed windows. East wing in Gothic style. Interior: Tower undercroft
retains original semicircular-headed door to bastle, with draw-bar slot and
pivot-holes, now opening off C17 cross-passage. Heavy oak beams carry
stone-flagged floor above. Large bracketed fireplace on entrance floor c1688
(date on re-positioned spice cupboard); end room in north wing on same floor has
C18 cornice, panelled doors and shutters, with some original carving remaining
in remodelled fireplace. Study-chapel at north end, partly destroyed by fire in
1889 in which Rev. Octavius James died.


Listing NGR: NY7257249324

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.