History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

18, Market Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Flookburgh, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1742 / 54°10'27"N

Longitude: -2.9712 / 2°58'16"W

OS Eastings: 336702

OS Northings: 475818

OS Grid: SD367758

Mapcode National: GBR 7NP5.KD

Mapcode Global: WH83K.BBDT

Entry Name: 18, Market Street

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Last Amended: 22 June 2007

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087155

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77077

Location: Lower Holker, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Lower Holker

Built-Up Area: Flookburgh

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Flookburgh St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Flookburgh

Listing Text

LOWER HOLKER

1269/10/162 MARKET STREET
25-MAR-70 FLOOKBURGH
(South side)
18

(Formerly listed as:
MARKET STREET
FLOOKBURGH
16 AND 18)

II
LOWER HOLKER MARKET STREET
SD 3675
(South side)
Flookburgh
10/162 No.18
25.3.70
G.V. II

House. Lintel reads: "C M/1665". Architect unknown. Roughcast stone with slate roof. T-shaped plan with rear extensions forming the tail of the T.

Exterior: Front facade has two storeys. Modern half-glazed front door beneath two-arched recessed stone lintel flanking carved date. Casement window and two-light, stone mullioned fire window to left of door. Upper floor has small paned fixed glazing to windows, the larger has pivoted upper lights the smaller has one opening pane. Rear facade has two-storey slate roofed projection with modern smaller single-storey extension added to it. Gable-end chimney stack and a cross-axial chimney stack project from roof.

Interior: Not inspected.

History: built in 1665. The modern single-storey extension to the rear facade is belived to have been added about 1990.

Evaluation of Importance: A mid C17 vernacular domestic building which, depsite some modernisation, retains some original features and remains a good example of an architectural style found in many nucleated settlements around the Morecambe Bay area.

Listing NGR: SD3670275818

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.