History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House and Adjoining Outbuilding

A Grade II* Listed Building in Flookburgh, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1744 / 54°10'27"N

Longitude: -2.9698 / 2°58'11"W

OS Eastings: 336795

OS Northings: 475837

OS Grid: SD367758

Mapcode National: GBR 7NP5.VB

Mapcode Global: WH83K.CB2N

Entry Name: Manor House and Adjoining Outbuilding

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335820

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77079

Location: Lower Holker, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Lower Holker

Built-Up Area: Flookburgh

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Flookburgh St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Flookburgh

Listing Text

LOWER HOLKER MARKET STREET
SD 3675
(South side)
Flookburgh
10/164 No.30 (Manor House)
25.3.70 and adjoining
outbuildings
G.V. II*
House and outbuildings. Lintel reads: "WS/1686". Stone rubble, the house
roughcast with ashlar dressings. Symmetrical central entrance plan. 2 storeys
with attic, 3 bays, ogee-mullioned windows, most of 4 lights but that to central
bay of 1st floor of 2 lights with large gabled dormer above which has 3-light
window, the central light raised. Central entrance has richly moulded jambs and
dated embattled lintel; 6-fielded-panel door. Corbelled gable-end stack and
cross-axial stack, both with round shafts. Left return has blocked attic
light. Rear has outshut under catslide roof. 1st bay has mullioned windows of
3 lights to ground floor and 2 lights to 1st floor. Outshut has sashed window
with glazing bars to ground floor; 1st floor has 2 pairs of lights and to left,
a stair window with C20 paired sashes with glazing bars and horns. Entrance has
recessed Tudor arch. Interior has screen with moulded studs and plaster
infill. Stone fireplace with corbelled lintel, and ovolo beams. 1st floor has
panelling, possibly old doors, and 2-fielded-panel doors. Principal rafters
have curved bases. Outbuildings have varied inserted fenestration and large
entrance. Rear has outshut under catslide roof with 2 entrances and window; bay
to right has segmental-headed entrance with pivoted doors and light over.


Listing NGR: SD3679575837

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.