History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Graythwaite Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Satterthwaite, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3097 / 54°18'35"N

Longitude: -2.9667 / 2°58'0"W

OS Eastings: 337202

OS Northings: 490891

OS Grid: SD372908

Mapcode National: GBR 7LQL.JV

Mapcode Global: WH82S.DXJY

Entry Name: Graythwaite Old Hall

Listing Date: 18 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087200

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76882

Location: Satterthwaite, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Satterthwaite

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Hawkshead St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Rusland

Listing Text

SATTERTHWAITE GRAYTHWAITE
SD 39 SE
9/170 Graythwaite Old Hall
18.5.53 (Low Graythwaite Hall
on 0.S. Map)

II*

House. C16 or C17 with east wing c.1710. Roughcast stone with slate roof.
East facade of 3 storeys and 6 bays. Top bracketed cornice. Windows are sashed
with glazing bars, those to 1st 3 bays of 1st floor with horns. Ground floor
has blocked windows with inserted round windows to 1st 2 bays. 4th bay has
Venetian window, sashed with glazing bars. Entrance to 3rd bay has aedicule
with flat pilasters and cartouche with arms (Rawlinson) to pediment; half-glazed
door. Gable-end stacks and 2 cross-axial stacks. Left return has raking
buttress and French window; sashed window to ground floor and 1st floor. Rear
has 2-storey, 3-bay gabled wing, windows to south side are sashed with glazing
bars. Lean-to porch has elaborate curly brackets. North facade has
wooden-mullioned windows to 1st floor. 2-light window with leaded glazing,
2 chamfered-mullioned windows of 3 lights with transom and leaded glazing, and
2-light window over gable of one-storey service wing. Small gabled porch and
lean-to outshut to rear of east wing. Gable-end stack and lean-to outshut.
Interior: Hall has low fielded panelling and court cupboard dated: 'WRM
1682"; large fireplace with inserted stone fireplace and cast iron fireback with
figure under arch, cherubs and lettering: "AR/TKM/1714"; stop-chamfered
beams. Other rooms have fielded panelling, that to south has coffered ceiling
and fireplace overmantel probably early C17, that to north has full-height
panelling, and dado rail; cupboard door reveals smaller spice cupboard door with
insised decoration, this door and remains of original plaster have painted
panelling. Rear wing has plank and muntin partitions and stop-chamfered beams
and moulded ceiling panels, part in kitchen; cupboard with bread oven, door to
south has draw bar. 2 stairs with turned balusters and square newels, one
continues to 2nd floor as spiral stair. 1st floor has some panelling with
moulded stiles and rails, some panelled doors; one room has full-height fielded
panelling with pairs of fluted pilasters, door with fanlight and bolection
moulded fireplace to angle. Some 2-panel doors to 2nd floor.


Listing NGR: SD3720290891

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.