History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Graythwaite Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Satterthwaite, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3131 / 54°18'47"N

Longitude: -2.9691 / 2°58'8"W

OS Eastings: 337052

OS Northings: 491264

OS Grid: SD370912

Mapcode National: GBR 7LQK.0N

Mapcode Global: WH82S.CVDD

Entry Name: Graythwaite Hall

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335765

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76881

Location: Satterthwaite, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Satterthwaite

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Hawkshead St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Rusland

Listing Text

SATTERTHWAITE GRAYTHWAITE
SD 39 SE
Graythwaite Hall
9/169
25.3.70
II

House. C16 or C17 with later alterations; rear wings of c.1810 and c.1920;
extension to south, 1890, probably by R. Knill Freeman. Roughcast stone, part
with red sandstone dressings, and slate roofs. South facade has 2-storey centre
of 3 bays with flanking projecting 3-storey gabled bays. Stone quoins and gable
copings, that to left with 3 ball finials, that to right is shaped gable with
2 ball finials. Centre has verandah with chamfered 4-centred arches and
continuous hoodmould, balustrade with 2 ball finials, top cornice and blocking
course. End bays have 2-storey bay windows with balustrades with ball finials,
mullioned and transomed windows with 4-centred heads to lights; that to left has
4-light windows, that to left has 5-light window with return lights to ground
floor, that to 1st floor of 4 lights; panel reads: "TSM/1890". 3-light
double-chamfered-mullioned windows to 2nd floor. Centre has cross-mullioned
windows to ground floor, flanking entrance, and 2-light windows with leaded
glazing to 1st floor, all with leaded glazing. Ex situ datestone to right
return of 1st bay reads: "CS/EC/1[5]78" with Sandys Arms. Cross-axial stack
with octagonal shafts. West facade of 8 bays with later rear wing to left. 1st
3 bays project under gable; 4th to 6th bays have C20 2nd floor, the 4th bay with
gable, 7th bay projects under gable, 8th bay is gabled, with 2-storey bay window
with balustrade. Most windows have cross-mullions, leaded glazing and label
moulds. Datestone reading "TSM/1852 1890" and corbelled-out gable-end stack to
8th bay with armorial bearing. 3 cross-axial stacks with octagonal shafts.
East facade; 1st bay has flat-topped ground floor projection and projecting
lateral stack; 2nd bay forms 4-storey tower with 1st floor and 3rd floor sill
bands, 2-light double-chamfered-mullioned windows and some single light windows;
top 3-light windows with elliptical heads to lights, to north and south;
crow-stepped gables to all four faces. 3 bays to north, adjoining 4-bay rear
wing, all of 2 storeys with sashed windows with glazing bars. Late C17 entrance
has Ionic aedicule with pulvinated frieze. Wing projecting to north of 1810 has
wide eaves and verges and sashed windows, attic round-headed window to gable.
Gable-end stack and lateral stack. Large flat-topped dormer. 1920 wing to
north-west has stables and pigeon lofts. Interior has some pulvinated panelling
brought from another house.


Listing NGR: SD3705291264

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.