History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hawkshead Grammar School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hawkshead, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3737 / 54°22'25"N

Longitude: -2.9985 / 2°59'54"W

OS Eastings: 335236

OS Northings: 498039

OS Grid: SD352980

Mapcode National: GBR 7KHV.MX

Mapcode Global: WH82K.XBBC

Entry Name: Hawkshead Grammar School

Listing Date: 18 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087232

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76852

Location: Hawkshead, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA22

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Hawkshead

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Hawkshead St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Hawkshead

Listing Text

HAWKSHEAD MAIN STREET
SD 3598 SW
(West side)
12/146 Hawkshead Grammar
18.5.53 School

GV II*

School, now museum. 1675, entrance rebuilt 1888, windows 1891. Roughcast stone
with ashlar dressings, slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. 3:2:2-light
ovolo-mullioned windows, those to ground floor with 3-centred heads to lights,
and label moulds to 1st floor windows; leaded glazing. Entrance between 1st and
2nd bays has architrave, pulvinated frieze with panel dated 1585; above, a
plaque with armorial bearing and memorial inscription to the founder, and date
1675 (placed there by the builder) under consoled cornice, the brackets with
incised decoration, with scrolly pediment and crest; above, an obliquely set
sundial in eared and shouldered architrave. Rainwater head dated 1891. Left
return has projecting gable-end stack with round shaft on square base. Right
return has 4-light windows, with 3-light window to rear wing, which has
gable-end and cross-axial stacks with round shafts. Interior has chamfered
beams; elliptical-headed fireplace. Fixed benches and desks covered with the
carved names of pupils. Panelled door with strap hinges leads to stone dog-leg
stair. The school was founded by Edwin Sandys, Archbishop of York, in 1585, and
built by Daniel Rawlinson. in 1675. Its most famous pupil was William
Wordsworth, who attended 1778-1787, and whose name is carved on a desk.


Listing NGR: SD3523998044

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.