This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3739 / 54°22'26"N
Longitude: -2.999 / 2°59'56"W
OS Eastings: 335201
OS Northings: 498060
OS Grid: SD352980
Mapcode National: GBR 7KHV.JV
Mapcode Global: WH82K.XB27
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 25 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087259
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76819
Location: Hawkshead, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA22
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Hawkshead
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Hawkshead St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/05/2017
Church of St Michael and All Angels
(Formerly listed as Church of St Michael and All Saints)
Church. Late C15 or early C16, north aisle rebuilt 1578, clerestory c.1578, vestry and hearse house c.1793. Stone rubble with slate roof. Single vessel nave and chancel; aisles and chapels under lean-to roofs; west tower and north-west vestry.
Tower has west pointed entrance, two-light single-chamfered- mullioned window above, and straight-headed louvred bell opening; top cornice and embattled parapet with angle pinnacles rebuilt 1875. To south a small window with clock face above, below bell opening. Vestry under lean-to roof to north of tower has three-light mullioned windows, the mullions rounded, the lights elliptical-headed; segmental-pointed entrance to hearse house below. North aisle has similar windows of three lights with label moulds, western bay has entrance with elliptical-head; jambs roll moulded and arch rusticated; gabled porch of 1933. North chapel has east window of three lights and five-light north window similar to those in aisle; western entrance has canted head, roll-mould and flanking hollows and Sandys arms over, with initials: IS, and date: 1578, label mould and small canopy. North clerestory has four windows of three lights with wooden mullions. Chancel has window of 1893, of five lights with Perpendicular tracery. South aisle has three straight-headed windows with cusped lights and hollow-chamfered mullions, the first of three lights with label, the second of two lights,the third of three lights, the first and third probably of 1875. Chapel has pointed entrance, now window and two-light window with label mould; east three-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window. Part of cusped window head to left of former entrance. Clerestory has four windows of three segmental-headed lights. Datestone (possibly renewed) has date 1633 under cable mould (probably date of south windows).
Interior has 5-bay arcades, simple segmental arches on round piers, no capitals or bases, all heavily plastered, with whitewash and painted decoration to extradoses and pier heads by J.S. Addison c.1680. Piers to south slightly square. Roof has tie beam and collar trusses; aisles have chamfered principal rafters and purlins, those to north chapel with mouldings.
Nave and aisles, have wall paintings: texts in ornamental surrounds; by J. Addison c.1680; some possibly restored by W. Mackreth, 1711, also list of church wardens for that year on intrados in north arcade. Paintings to outer aisle walls and two in nave repainted by W. Bolton, 1876, also that to west wall. Wall monuments to nave clerestories. West wall has two Rawlinson monuments from church of St Dionis Backchurch, London. Daniel, died 1679 and Sir Thomas, died 1706, both elaborate, with columns, entablatures, cherubs and cartouches. In north chapel a chest tomb, William and Margaret Sandys, with recumbent effigies, dated 1578. Screens to north chapel, east wall panelling, stalls, pulpit, font, 1875. Late C19 stained glass to east and south.
Listing NGR: SD3519998062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings