History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashton House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Beetham, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2085 / 54°12'30"N

Longitude: -2.7743 / 2°46'27"W

OS Eastings: 349595

OS Northings: 479468

OS Grid: SD495794

Mapcode National: GBR 9M2S.54

Mapcode Global: WH83G.CH42

Entry Name: Ashton House

Listing Date: 21 November 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087330

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76583

Location: Beetham, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA7

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Beetham

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Beetham St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Milnthorpe

Listing Text

SD 4979 BEETHAM BEETHAM


9/36 Ashton House

21.11.52

G.V. II*

House. Initials and date TIS on moulded lintel over later doorway in right
1678
hand return front; panel above with initials and date JJ for John Johnson
1744
(d.1787). Mostly mid C18 with C19 alterations and additions, including flanking
pavilions. Scored stucco; graduated greenslate roof. 3-storey central block
with 2-storey pavilions. 7 bays 1:5:1. Chamfered plinth and quoins. Central
block has central 8-panelled vertically-split door,in surround with egg-and-dart
moulding flanked by Corinthian pilasters with lion heads to capitals,supporting
open pediment with coat-of-arms of Johnsons (three spear-heads proper a chief
ermine) and a winged cherub's head; sashes with glazing bars in moulded
architraves: central window to 1st floor, flanked by Ionic pilasters,has simple
carved head over; window above,flanked by Composite pilasters,has larger
laurelled head set against raised scroll pattern; modillioned eaves with parapet
and corniced stone chimney stacks. Pavilions have tripartite sashes with
glazing bars to each floor and eaves bands. Interior has mid C18 staircase with
moulded tread ends, ramped and moulded handrail and turned balusters. Early C18
pine panelling, plasterwork and shutters to both ground and first floors, mid
C18 panelling and cornice to dining room and bedroom; Victorian details to most
of ground floor. Road at front diverted c.1850 to provide space for carriage
drive.


Listing NGR: SD4958779463

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.