This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.213 / 54°12'46"N
Longitude: -2.774 / 2°46'26"W
OS Eastings: 349621
OS Northings: 479969
OS Grid: SD496799
Mapcode National: GBR 9M2Q.7J
Mapcode Global: WH83G.CC9M
Entry Name: Heron Corn Mill and Attached Mill Race
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087334
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76597
Location: Beetham, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA7
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Beetham
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Beetham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
454/9/49 MILL LANE
Heron Corn Mill and attached Mill Race
Water-powered corn mill, with attached grain dryer and water supply mechanism and launder. Late C18 or earlier, remodelled and enlarged C19, restored as a museum in 1975. Rubble stone, slobbered, with a slate roof laid to diminishing courses.
PLAN: L-shaped complex with main mill range aligned parallel to the River Bela, and ancillary range at right angles to the north-west.
EXTERIOR: River frontage to south-east with dressed stone plinth and semi circular arch-headed double doorway to lower level. 3 multi-pane upper floor windows with flat-arched heads. Wide south-east gable with timber launder leading from sluice gates with rack and pinion mechanisms. Narrow extension to north-west incorporates corn drying kiln with roof louvre. Single bay north-east elevation with a C20 window frame to each floor and a board door.
INTERIOR: The restoration of the mill interior was completed in 1975, and contains a Lowder stone frame on the stone floor and complete associated machinery, driven by a 14ft overshot water wheel. Line shafting in the attic powers the sack hoist which raises grain to the highest part of the building, to be delivered by gravity onto the 4 pairs of millstones below. The roof structure is supported on trusses with curved knee braces to the principles.
HISTORY: The mill site is thought to have had medieval origins, rights to erect and run a corn mill having been granted to the Canons of Coningshead in 1220. The present mill operated until 1955.
A water-powered corn mill on a mill site established in 1220 and operated until 1955, with a complete and working interior, including a rare survival of a Lowder frame.
Listing NGR: SD4962179969
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings