This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9223 / 54°55'20"N
Longitude: -3.0485 / 3°2'54"W
OS Eastings: 332898
OS Northings: 559127
OS Grid: NY328591
Mapcode National: GBR 7C4J.T8
Mapcode Global: WH7ZV.4JMV
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 30 April 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78231
Location: Burgh By Sands, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA5
Civil Parish: Burgh by Sands
Built-Up Area: Burgh by Sands
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Burgh-by-Sands St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 3259 BURGH BY SANDS Burgh by Sands
13/46 The Old Vicarage
Vicarage and stable, now private house. Circa 1685 with extension c1734; late
C18 and Early C19 alterations. Whitewashed clay walls on large footing stones,
extension of brick and cobbles; graduated sandstone slate roof, whitewashed
brick chimney stacks. Original house 2 storeys, 2 bays of cruck construction,
higher extension of 2 storeys, 2 bays. Street facade: original house left has
ground floor casement window with C19 oriel 2-pane sash window above. Small
upper-floor glazed opening to left has external wooden shutter; this was
originally the stable end. End wall collapsed in 1978 and has been rebuilt.
Extension has sash windows with glazing bars, painted stone sills. End wall has
pointed cast-iron casement with intersecting glazing bars, similar window
above. 2 false pointed moulded arches, are explained by this wall facing the
churchyard, so this would give the illusion of part of a ruined church. Rear
wall has outshut with C20 porch, C20 door and windows. Interior of clay house
has 2 pairs of full crucks. Before 1685 the vicar lived in the tower at the
east end of the church which was described in 1703 as being ruinous.
Listing NGR: NY3289659127
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings