History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bewcastle, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0636 / 55°3'49"N

Longitude: -2.6819 / 2°40'55"W

OS Eastings: 356542

OS Northings: 574561

OS Grid: NY565745

Mapcode National: GBR 99QW.5M

Mapcode Global: WH7Z7.SZ2J

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 1 April 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087539

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78127

Location: Bewcastle, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Bewcastle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Bewcastle St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Bewcastle

Listing Text

NY 57 SE BEWCASTLE BEWCASTLE

18/39 Church of St Cuthbert
1.4.57

G.V. II*

Church. C13, with tower dated 1792, alterations 1901. Mixed calciferous sandstone
rubble walls with large. flush quoins, tower partly rendered; graduated green slate
roof. 2-storey square west tower/porch; 4-bay nave/chancel. Tower has plank door
in round arch with incised date; windows with round arches, impost blocks and key-
stones; louvred vents; open bellcote with hipped slate roof surmounted by weather
vane. Nave/chancel has tall pointed lancet windows of 1901, angle buttresses.
3-light east window is C13. Interior has upper gallery supported on stone pillars
reached by stair from tower; a rebuilding of 1901 of a much larger gallery of 1792.
Early C20 pews and furnishings. Medieval font bowl on window ledge near pulpit;
C13 piscina with corresponding recess in north wall. Wall tablets to rectors died
1737 and 1834. Part of nave was taken down to build tower in 1792 and walls of
nave lowered in 1901 when reroofed.


Listing NGR: NY5654274561

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.