History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brampton, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9463 / 54°56'46"N

Longitude: -2.7663 / 2°45'58"W

OS Eastings: 351014

OS Northings: 561557

OS Grid: NY510615

Mapcode National: GBR 9C37.XP

Mapcode Global: WH7ZS.GYY0

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 1 April 1951

Last Amended: 16 January 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087645

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77859

Location: Brampton, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Brampton

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Brampton St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Irthington

Listing Text

NY 56 SW BRAMPTON OLD CHURCH

10/62 Church of St Martin
(formerly listed as
Brampton Church)

1.4.51 II*

Disused church. C12 with later alterations and additions. Red sandstone rubble
walls, partly of reused stone from the Roman Wall (on the site of a
pre-Hadrianic fort), with ashlar dressings, dressed sandstone to porch, slate
roofs with coped gables. Formerly tower, nave and chancel, now only chancel and
porch of 1861, with sexton's lean-to shed on north side; other parts demolished
between 1787 and 1789, the stone being used to improve the chapel in Brampton.
Porch has oak doors and iron gates of 1891, with tooled ashlar surround: gable
has cross finial. Chancel has round head Norman lancet in south wall: reused
medieval recessed arch below, rebuilt 1788; other lancets and east window are of
1891: cross finial to east gable of 1891 and belfry to west gable of 1788.
Church declared redundant 1978 so interior furnishings removed. South wall of
chancel has piscina and aumbry, possibly c12 and repositioned: Norman lancet
has splays and stepped sill. Flagged floor includes in north east corner late
C17 and early C18 grave slabs. Probably re-roofed 1891. See Transactions,
Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, lxxxii, p.73-89.


Listing NGR: NY5101461557

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.