History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holme Eden Abbey

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wetheral, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9049 / 54°54'17"N

Longitude: -2.8253 / 2°49'31"W

OS Eastings: 347179

OS Northings: 557001

OS Grid: NY471570

Mapcode National: GBR 8CQQ.4J

Mapcode Global: WH7ZY.KZV6

Entry Name: Holme Eden Abbey

Listing Date: 3 September 1973

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087685

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77748

Location: Wetheral, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA4

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Wetheral

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Holme Eden St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Warwick

Listing Text

WETHERAL WARWICK BRIDGE
NY 45 NE

6/166 Holme Eden Abbey
3. 9.73
II*

Abbey, formerly house. 1833-37 (date stone 1837 on building) by John Dobson for
Peter Dixon, Cotton manufacturer of Warwick Bridge. Tooled red sandstone
ashlar, moulded dressings, slate roof and numerous castellated stone chimney
stacks and parapets. 2 storeys with towers of 3 storeys and numerous bays:
Tudor-Gothic: large mansion house of basically 3 towers with connecting bays
and wings surrounding a courtyard. Porch-tower has Gothic arch entrance with
drip mould, large non-figurative stained glass window with squared leaded lights
and coat-of-arms at parapet level. Windows are a mixture, some mullioned and
transomed, sashes with glazing bars, diamond leaded casements and stained
glass. Arched central tunnel gives access to courtyard where there were
stables. Internal features include hall with freestone staircase of 3 flights
supported by vaulted cantilevers with carved corbels, stone balusters with
Gothic tracery and moulded stone rail: original wood panelled and plaster
ceilings to every principal room: carved stone Gothic fireplaces with
decorative tiles: dining room has Gothic carved wood sideboard and library has
carved Gothic bookcase extending the full length of wall. Built under the
supervision of James Stewart, architect of Carlisle, acting as agent, and this
has previously led to some confusion. Peter Dixon had the cotton works at
Warwick Bridge and in 1836 opened a large factory in Carlisle: house sold c1875
to William Watson whose trustees sold to Mr Liddell of Warwick Hall: he gave
the house to nuns of the Order of St Benedict in 1921.


Listing NGR: NY4717957001

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.