History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Corn Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Warwick Bridge, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9041 / 54°54'14"N

Longitude: -2.8216 / 2°49'17"W

OS Eastings: 347416

OS Northings: 556908

OS Grid: NY474569

Mapcode National: GBR 8CQQ.YT

Mapcode Global: WH7ZY.MZLT

Entry Name: The Corn Mill

Listing Date: 22 September 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087686

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77751

Location: Wetheral, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA4

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Wetheral

Built-Up Area: Warwick Bridge

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Holme Eden St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Warwick

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

NY 45 NE WETHERAL

A69, WARWICK BRIDGE
6/169 (north side)

22/09/83 The Corn Mill

II

The Grade shall be amended to read II * (star).

------------------------------------

WETHERAL A69, WARWICK BRIDGE
NY 45 NE (North Side)

6/169 The Corn Mill

II

Water corn mill, now used for grinding oats for pig food. 1839 for Howard
estate (Corby Castle). Coursed sandstone rubble walls with hipped slate roof.
2½ storeys and 2 bays, with extensions to south and east. Square bank-mill with
internal undershot water-wheel. Entrances and windows have squared plain
surrounds. Simple plank doors, half-boarded sashes without glazing bars and
louvre windows to attic storey. Weather vane on ridge incorporates lion
(heraldic device for Howard family) with date 1839 cut through it. 3 bay
extension to south has dovecote or pigeon loft, with a number of openings and a
large arched cart entrance. Entrance to mill from south has slate covered porch
with internal loading platform, to keep corn dry. Working water-mill with all
its machinery dating between 1839 and 1930: water-wheel by Blaylock of Carlisle
has 1850's date on it. Hill has had continuous use since building. Sometimes
called Little Corby Mill.


Listing NGR: NY4741656908

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.