This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9019 / 54°54'6"N
Longitude: -2.8153 / 2°48'55"W
OS Eastings: 347815
OS Northings: 556661
OS Grid: NY478566
Mapcode National: GBR 8CSR.9L
Mapcode Global: WH804.Q1KX
Entry Name: The Mill
Listing Date: 22 September 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 77695
Location: Wetheral, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA4
Civil Parish: Wetheral
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Holme Eden St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 45 NE
HIGH BUILDINGS (West end, off)
Factory units, formerly woollen mill, built as cotton mill. 1790 and 1793 with
extensions 1814 and 1890 for John Ferguson, Peter Dixon and William Waddell,
respectively (dates and initials on combined stones, high up on the wall of the
spinning mill). Squared red sandstone rubble walls, slate roof and slated
wooden bellcote. 3 storeys, plus attic and 9 bays to original mill (1790 and
1793) and spinning mill (1814) of 4 storeys, plus attic and 11 bays:
straightforward factory building of the Industrial Revolution, originally water
powered. Plain surrounds to windows with C19 cast iron frames and glazing bars:
C20 loading bays cut through 2 windows in spinning mill and end bay covered by 4
storey projecting lift shaft. Arch under spinning mill gives water access to
original wheel position. Converted to steam in 1832. Walls secured by plates
and ties. Bell still in bellcote, surmounted by weather-vane with initial F
(Ferguson) and 1791 cut through. Internal cast-iron columns between floors.
Although completed in 1791, Langthwaite Mill was gutted by fire on 8 August 1793
and had to be rebuilt: ceased production in 1883 and reopened as a woollen
mill, re-named Otterburn Mill in 1888: continued as such until the late 1970's,
when it was sold to be split into separate units. At its height of production,
the mill employed nearly 300 people. For full details see, D.J.W. Mawson,
Langthwaite Cotton Mill, Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland,
Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, vol. lxxvi, N.S., p.159-183. Listing does
not include the other factory buildings nearby, except for High Buildings,
originally workers cottages and included for G.V.
Listing NGR: NY4781556661
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings