This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1951 / 53°11'42"N
Longitude: -1.7748 / 1°46'29"W
OS Eastings: 415144
OS Northings: 366473
OS Grid: SK151664
Mapcode National: GBR 46J.N3X
Mapcode Global: WHCD5.QY2F
Plus Code: 9C5W56WG+33
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 12 July 1967
Last Amended: 11 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087822
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80579
Location: Monyash, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Monyash
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Monyash St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Derby
Tagged with: Church building
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 8 September 2021 to remove superfluous amendment details and to reformat the text to current standards
SK 16 NE
PARISH OF MONYASH
CHURCH STREET (South Side)
Church of St Leonard
Church. Early C13, C14, restored and chancel rebuilt 1884-7 by Butterfield. Coursed limestone rubble with gritstone dressings and quoins. Stone slate roofs, except leaded nave aisle roofs. C19 moulded stone copings with plain kneelers to gables. Western tower, nave, nave aisles, north and south transepts, south porch and rebuilt chancel. Three stage embattled tower with recessed octagonal spire. Centrally placed buttresses to three sides up to moulded stringcourse. Southern buttress has inserted lancet window. In second stage lancet to south, clock face to north. Above moulded stringcourse and flat headed bell openings with twin cusped lights and stone slate louvres to three sides. Twin lancets to east. Projecting embattled parapets over. Gargoyle to north. Four spire lucarnes with stone slates. Four more blind lucarnes to top. North nave aisle has chamfered pointed door. Stringcourse to sides and stepped up over door. To either side, early C14 twin-light flat headed windows with curvilinear tracery.
North transept with continuous stringcourse stepped up below C19 twin-light north window with reticulated tracery. C14 three-light, flat-headed deeply recessed window to east with curvilinear tracery. Similar window in equivalent position on south transept. Two single light windows with buttresses between to north chancel wall. C19 plate tracery, three-light east window. Corner buttresses to either side. South chancel wall - single light window to east. C19 Y-tracery window to west, shouldered doorcase, and C14 two-light curvilinear traceried window beyond. C19 ovolo moulded south transept window with intersecting tracery over trefoil headed lights. Corner buttresses either side. Large four-light window to south nave wall with unusual curvilinear tracery. South porch with C19 wooden screen to south. Central pointed arch with ogee-arched panels to sides. C13 south doorcase with continuous roll mouldings and moulded capitals.
Interior has three bay C14 arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Outer arch mouldings spring from moulded bases over capitals on nave side. Similar tower arch. Early C13 chancel arch on stiff leaf capitals, above carved corbels. Late C12 piscina and sedilla to south chancel wall. Piscina under chamfered semi-circular,headed arch, with leaf decoration, to east. To west, three stepped, semi-circular headed niches with detached columns between and foliage capitals. Dripmould over with dogtooth decoration. All rebuilt in C19. C19 wooden choir stalls, altar rails and pulpit by Butterfield. Two white and grey marble wall memorials, one to Hugh Sheldon of 1725 with broken pedimented aedicule, other to Thomas Chenley of 1724 with classical aedicule and coat of arms to top. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil stem decorated with beasts. Hatchment of 1742. C18 wooden screen to south transept chapel.
Listing NGR: SK1514466473
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings