This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3428 / 53°20'34"N
Longitude: -1.7757 / 1°46'32"W
OS Eastings: 415028
OS Northings: 382901
OS Grid: SK150829
Mapcode National: GBR JY1S.CF
Mapcode Global: WHCCL.P7MP
Plus Code: 9C5W86VF+4P
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 21 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087866
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82479
Location: Castleton, High Peak, Derbyshire, S33
Civil Parish: Castleton
Built-Up Area: Castleton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Castleton St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 18 SE
PARISH OF CASTLETON
BACK STREET (west side)
Church of St Edmund
Church. Early C12, C14 and early C19. Rubble limestone and gritstone ashlar with gritstone dressings. Lead roofs hidden behind parapets. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel and north vestry.
C14 west tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses with set-offs. Three-light west window with four centred arch. Lancet bell openings. Battlements and eight pinnacles. Four bay nave divided by buttresses with two set-offs. Windows with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. Moulded parapet with pinnacles. Rainwater heads dated 1831 when the medieval aisles were demolished. South porch also of 1831 with steep castellated gable with pinnacles. Chamfered, pointed arched opening. Studded door. Two bay chancel with two-light windows with plate tracery. Castellated parapet with pinnacles. Vestry attached to the north with C18 wooden Y-tracery.
INTERIOR: Norman chancel arch renewed in C19. One order of colonnettes with block capitals. Zig-zag decoration to the arch. Double-chamfered tower arch. Box pews inscribed with dates 1661, 1662, 1663, 1676, 1703, 1712, 1716, 1720 and 1722, and with five three-branched brass oil lamps with engraved glass globes. Nave roof with re-used C16 timbers. Plain octagonal font. Stained glass in chancel south east window, 1911 by Kempe. Other unattributed windows. Three memorials on north wall dated 1725, 1804 and 1863. The last by Patteson of Manchester.
Listing NGR: SK1502882901
Other nearby listed buildings